Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question 1.7 Dti 2001 G Leaking Coolant

Hi,

Quick one my 1.7 Dti is leaking coolant. I've changed the oil cooler and the problem got better and performance improved. It's not the head gasket as there is no smoke, no performance loss and the oil level is solid always.

There's also still some oil contamination in the coolant although not much at all after the cooler change.

I've tracked the leak down to a gasket where a pipe from the turbo area meets the engine block. I've photographed it. You can't see the deposits on the picture as they are underneath the part shown but they are very heavy and white in colour so I know it's coolant.

Problem is I don't know what part to ask for when replacing it, nor do I know if it's a big job to replace or even indicative of a bigger problem somewhere else. I need:

1)To know what the arrowed part is doing and why it's leaking coolant.

2)To know if it's also carrying oil which would explain the contamination.

3)If it has any relation to the turbo as that's where it seems to go after coming out of the block.

4)How big a job both time and expense wise I'm looking at to replace it.

I've done the belt on this engine before at home so I'm not a noob DIY mechanic.

I could really use the help it's driving me mad

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like the gasket sealing the point on the bottom side of the pump. Those two bolts you can see to the left of the arrow at the back of the pulley are two of the 4 that seal the pump in the block.

May be indicative of the pump seal away and the water is running to the point you are looking at or it is where you are looking at thats away.

If it is any of the two of these then i looks fairly simple to do as the gasket at the arrow will be just removing the pipe and unbolting the mounting bolts and sealing again with a new seal.

Pump is much the same simple enough to do just remove the auxillary belt and the pulley then unbolt the five bolts and remove the seal. You may need to tap with a rubber mallet to extract it and examine it for signs of wear paying close attention to the inner seal.

If i think of anything else i'll get back to you as im investigating the same kind of water loss problem in my own car.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys, new to the forum, just wondering of you had any joy with resolving this problem; my 1.7dti astravan has so far had a new head gasket, expansion tank, water pump, thermostat and two more replacement rad caps, still losing about 1-2L per day and my garage are scratching their heads as it passes pressure test no problem and there is no obvious sign of leakage. I am reluctant to take it to another garage in case they cant find the problem either and charge me for the time anyway, and simply because as my garage have already charged me in excess of £600 and still haven't fixed the original fault.

Was it this point in the end causing your fault? I am not a mechanic but I am getting really p***ed off with having to top it up every day! Any advice would be much appreciated. Its a 2002 van by the way, and is otherwise brilliant!