Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

DIY Respray

Hi all!

I am just in the process of respraying my irmscher front spoiler, as I will soon be selling the car and the front spoiler had a few scratches on it. I did all the prep work and am now spraying on the colour, though when spraying I noticed that it's quite, well, orange peely??? and not smooth. Do I need to W&D before the laquer?

Also I am using halfords aerosol paints (shite I know but I don't want to go spending loads of money on the car if I'm gonna sell it.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Moved to correct forum
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazTD View Post
    Moved to correct forum
    cheers!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did my irmscher front spoiler a few weeks back. I only used Halfords products and it turned out really well.
    Just use a little wet and dry until your happy with the finish. Took me a few goes but you get there eventually!
    You may also be holding the spray can to close and putting down too much paint each pass. Just do thin layers and build them up.
    It's quite hard to explain in without showing you!!
    ASTRA SRi 2.2

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers mike, I am holding the can about 30cm away and dusting the spray across from left to right and back again. I've put on about four coats so far.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just keep doing that til your happy with it!!
    ASTRA SRi 2.2

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not too happy with my results so far, I've put the lacquer on now and it looks ok, but just lacks the mirror shine of the rest of the paintwork on the bumper. Ah well, I'll see what a bit of T cut does and post some pix tomorrow

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, if your doing a diy respray here are a few tips.

1. primer : after priming, wet sand with 600 grit.

2. Always remove grime / grease prior to paint coats with panel wipes and then use tac cloth to remove any dust etc..

3. Basecoat Colour : Never wet sand your base coat if it is a metallic finish. If it isn't you can wet sand with 1000/1200 grit paper. again, remeber to panel wipe and tac cloth.

4. Clear coat : I always use U-Pol. It is available from halfords and is by far much better than anything else on the market. It is uv and petrol resistant. Apply 3 - 4 coats and allow to dry for a week.

5. Final Sand / Polish : You now need to wet sand / flat the laquer otherwise you will never get a decent shine due to orange peel. Use 1500 grit wet and dry. Keep the paintwork wet with water that has a little washing up liquid in. BE VERY GENTLE. take your time and keep drying the part. It will appear foggy but dont worry. Everytime you dry the part you will clearly see if any orange peel is left. When the whole part is flat give a final clean. You can now polish. Ideally, a professionla polisher is best but a lot of elbow grease can produce good results. I mix 50/50 tee cut and good quality polish. The foggy paint will now start to shine and because you have flatted it will feel and look like glass.

Jason

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good description... I really need to get round to doing my centre console... any tips?
    [ My Car ]

You're not here for a long time, You're here for a good time!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Jason, that's an excellent bit of advice. From your description, I think I know where I've messed up. I only left the Clear coat to dry overnight in my garage (Whoopsy). Then next day it seemed to be rock hard so I cleaned it and it had the orange peel effect (as shown below).

So I went on to W&D, keeping the surface and paper wet at all times using some car wash solution. The orange peel had now gone and it started looking and feeling really smooth. However, it was still quite "misty" compared to the other paintwork. I tried using Carplan T-cut and then AutGlym polish a total of four times, and it did improve slightly, but it still doesn't have the mirror shine. Do you reckon I need to respray the clear coat or the whole thing?