Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fitting oil pressure gauge

Hello all,

Looking to fit an oil pressure gauge to a Y17DT - there's the electrical & mechanical versions - I'm not 100% sure how to fit those and can someone help clarify how to fit them? I want to keep the idiot light on the instrument panel.

Electrical - I know I just have to fit the new sender in place of the original one, easy - but how to keep the idiot light on the instrument panel? Do I connect that to the new sender, or do I have to get a T piece like this and screw the original sensor on the T piece?

Mechanical - Again, do I need the T piece as before or will the gauge kit include it? Or is there another way to fit it?

I would rather not use a sandwich plate as it's rather pricey!

Thanks very much for your time in advance.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oil pressure gauge 101

Electric gauges use a remote sender which reads the pressure art the point of measurement and then sends an electrical signal to the gauge which displays the reading.

Mechanical gauges use an capillary tube running from the point of measure to the gauge, which then displays the reading. So the gauge takes and display the reading.

Other differences? On mech gauges the needle usually has a larger swept angle (upto 360 degrees)than on elec ones (usually 90 degrees), although modern elec gauges have can have a higher swept angle than older ones.

Mech gauges are harder to install but inherently more accurate, however it means running an pressurised oil filled pipe into the cabin... which isn't too good if it leaks. So there's a trade off between accuracy/easy of install/reliability.

The best place to take a reading for a general pressure gauge will always be the oil pump. so if you're wanting to keep the dash light too, then you'll need a T-piece so you can install both the OE switch and the Pressure sender at the same point. Simple eh?

Nope it's not that simple

Firstly there might not be enough room to to install an OE switch on a T-piece, and secondly the extra leverage cause by mounting a " big weight on a stalk" can cause problems as the engine vibrates - mainly it working loose (oil loss) or cracking what it's screwed into (big time failure).

So the best method is do mount the sender and switch remotely using some thing like ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-8v-16...3A1%7C294%3A50

You can also use an sandwich plate that goes between the oil filter and oil pump.. but you need a spin on canister filter to do so , and IMO they are a nasty bodge of a way to do the job.

I've never seen a VX diesel engine up close so can't advise on specifics

Here's my sender mounted remotely....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Excellent, thanks so very much for your post - much appreciated!

How unreliable are the mechanical gauge capillary tubes - how often do they break?

Demon Tweeks sells the remote T-Piece for £22.43, but there's lots of different sizes available. I've emailed them, see what they say.

Do I need to put anything around the thread when fitting the remote t-piece to prevent it leaking?

Thanks very much for your time!

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the weakness on any capillary tube is normally the fittings, so always get decent quality ones, such as LMA (who supply Demon Tweeks) or AutoMeter (NOT AutoGauge). stick a fitting form one of those two at the side of some of the fittings that fall out of the usual 'ebay special' gauges and you'll instantly see the difference.

Another weakpoint is where the tube passes through the bulkhead so make sure is its got a snug fitting gromit on it, and thee chances of it chafing on anything are zero

Fittings shouldn't need any sealant or tape on them to get a good leak free fit. There are numerous different thread all of which tackle the problem of a getting good seal in diffenert ways

NPT fittings have tapered threads so seal as you tighten it up
    AN fittings have a tapered seat so seal on tightening (like brake pipes)
    Metric fittings normally use a deformalable copper washer
    Some BSP ones use an olive, like a conex fitting, one others use a fibre washer

NPT and metric are the usual ones you'll Come across

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's a dazzling array of different sizes for the capillary tube - I hope I will get a proper match!

Thanks again for help.