Thread: tell me about your experiences with evosixs and sevens

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

tell me about your experiences with evosixs and sevens

just wondered has anyone had experience of owning or driving a mitsubishi evo 6 or 7 any model or hp what are like on insurance servicing if you do it all yourself and reliability all views good or bad i defo want one one day would love an 8 but out of my price range everyone keeps telling me im dreaming if i want an evo before im 25 but i want to prove em wrong i want one next year if possible when im 23
    never drink and drive .you might spill your drink
    **** n/a turbo is the way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was looking into getting one. With standard tune they are pretty much bomb proof, standard internals can take you upto around 360bhp with just a remap, turbo back exhaust, filter & plugs.

Evo 6's are so evil they look like they could hoover small children off the pavement.

Evo 7's are a bit less "in your face".

Both models share the same engine.

Standard output is 276bhp for the GSR trim level.

Insurance = Sky high unless you're 25 with full NCB & no points.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i know they look so evil thats why i want one but im scared to get an insurance qoute just yet cos everyone keeps saying i wont insure one but it cant be that muchnmore than an astra turbo can it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andys sri-t View Post
    i know they look so evil thats why i want one but im scared to get an insurance qoute just yet cos everyone keeps saying i wont insure one but it cant be that muchnmore than an astra turbo can it
    When I was looking to buy one, I was 23 and it was before all this economic crisis stuff.

I don't know exactly what prices are like now but obviously it depends on:

Your age
    Sex
    The cars insurance group - 20 (max).
    Points.

When I did the quote, I was 23, I live in the sticks so crime is low, I have over 5yrs NCB and had 3pts.

It was something like £900 for the cheapest quote with something like £500 voluntary excess + £400 compulsary and no addons such as 3rd party cover on other cars, personal injury cover etc.

It was just the basic of the basic full comp to get it as cheap as possible.

I couldn't justify paying that amount for 12months insurance when my T8's quote was something like £420 (Group 16 + modded).

So, yes they will quote you (Well, some places will), but how much do you want to spend ...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ill have to find out if i can get it under 1500 fully comp ill have to look into getting one for sure i cant stop thinking about em just lately i still like my astra but the evo just has something else other than the 4wd and awesome engine whats the gearboxes and diffs like strong??and how much would you be looking to replace one gearbox or one of the diffs if yopu were to blow one up???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    well when i had my evo last year i was 22 and insurance was £1100 on an import model very juicy. they are very deciving in standard form feel a lot faster than they are very tunerble evgines and very strong earlier modles suffer weak pistons. bare in mind when talking bhp on evos everyone talks fly power i was losing 88bhp through my transmission so a so with 399 bhp was only runnin 311 wheel horse power. handel like nothing you can immagin back end twichy when being pushed hard on track but very easy to correct.

personally would say the 6 looks outdated now and the 7 looks much more fierce.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    When you look for insurance check out A-Plan, Keith Michaels, Pace Ward and of course Flux. How much is your budget as you can get a nice 8 for less that 10k now.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andys sri-t View Post
    ill have to find out if i can get it under 1500 fully comp ill have to look into getting one for sure i cant stop thinking about em just lately i still like my astra but the evo just has something else other than the 4wd and awesome engine whats the gearboxes and diffs like strong??and how much would you be looking to replace one gearbox or one of the diffs if yopu were to blow one up???

Best places to try are Bell & Admiral, or at least they were last year when I tried.

(They are the same company but give different quotes so try both).

Gearbox is strong, remember these things were built for high power unlike Astra's which just use off the shelf tat mostly. Pay for what you get as they say.

I do know the AYC (Active Yaw Control) can ***** up at times, usually at high mileage so try to get an unabused low mileage example.

They do sell an Evo varient with no AYC and IIRC it is the RS model and I think also the RSII.

(These also come with a few other alterations and are lighter than their GSR counterparts ... similar to a Clio 182 Cup Vs a Clio 182.).

I was tempted a few week ago when I seen an Evo VI Extreme RS450 for sale ....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    they do suffer with ayc check the light comes on and off as it should check for reciptes for reg ayc oil changes and listen for strange noises not a cheap change mate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgasmatt View Post
    they do suffer with ayc check the light comes on and off as it should check for reciptes for reg ayc oil changes and listen for strange noises not a cheap change mate

Just short of £2000 to buy & replace the AYC on an Evo VIII through a Mitsubishi garage.

It'll be pretty much the same price on the VI & VII.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast