Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.9 SRI 120bhp remap options ?

Hi all

I have an 06 (55) 1.9 SRI 120 BHP. I have been told by a friend that I have the 16V version. Is this possible?? He said that they are simply de-tuned from the 150bhp version. He told me he could tell because the oil filler cap is on the right.... I thought I would ask you guys as he drives a Subaru and therefore can't be trusted.

Can anyone confirm if this is possibly true ? So moving on from that. I was going to get the DTUK box for the car, being very impressed with the reviews on this site. But with a nice bonus from work I wondered what the options around a complete remap would be.

The DTUK says it will give the 120 bhp a lift to 170bhp and the 150 a lift to 205bhp. If I do have the 16v version, I would of course want the 205bhp option. But how would this work as I am already de-tuned to 120bhp ?

Basically I am ridiculously stupid when it comes to cars, but this might stop me from going out and buying a 5 series, as the 120bhp is just not cutting it any more.

Thanks for any help.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I was under the impression that the 120bhp 1.9's were 8v and the 150's were 16v...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is what I thought. But after some more digging I have found that apparently until Model year 2006 the 1.9 120PS used a detuned Y19DTH (16V engine).. I am not sure what this means, and am quoting another web site.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    here you go take a look at the link has pics of both on there

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...EJXN-Qa7lumQAw
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats the one. So I think I have confirmed I have the 16v version. do you know what the procedure is to get this to the max avaiable. Will a remap allow this to go to 200bhp ?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Depends if it was purely an ECU de-tune or whether it used lower spec parts for the turbo etc? Might be worth giving DTUK a call and seeing what they think.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i know the dtuk boxes get great reviews and ive never looked into them jsut wondering why people have dtuk boxes instead of a remap like the petrols?
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Easier I reckon...plug it in, there you go. Don't want it anymore? Take it off. Much easier to get hold of in general as you can order online without having to find a remap venue you trust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the input guys.
    I have spoken to Courtenay and Regal. Both very friendly and offered pretty much the same advice. The only issue is both these guys are no where near London.

Both can map the 120bhp (16v) to 190-195bhp with around 300 lbs of torque.for a cost of around the £500 inc.

I think this ticks most of the boxes, I think I will keep looking for somewhere a bit closer to the home counties.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Interesting this lark to do with the 8v and 16v 1.9 engines.

Either way, the standard DTUK Green Eco3 tuning box will fit your engine and will offer much improved plug in performance.

I'm not sure whether or not the 120 version of the 1.9 16v engine uses a smaller turbo or anything or us just de-tuned, but I would imagine that the DTUK box would give you at least 170bhp & 270lb/ft, but probably more like 180-190bhp, which isn't far short of where the tuned 150 engine would end up.

Rather than worry about headline bhp and torque figures though I'd be more concerned about driveability. I have an SRi 150 with a Green box fitted on setting A, and when nailing it the front wheels do twitch and squirm a little as the chassis struggles to get the power down (Sport button pressed). I'm sure an SRi with 180+ bhp and 270+ lb/ft would be seriously rapid and more than adequate for most people's needs...

Might be worth borrowing someone's DTUK box and fitting it to your car to see how you like it before opting for the remap... at least then if you don't find the car as driveable you can opt out, unlike if you had plumped for the remap.

I have heard that the power delivery from remaps tends to be a bit more linear and progressive, making the car more driveable, but for some that's not what its about. The tuning box is quite primitive and gives a sudden rush of torque that is addictive at first, but can be a little wearing over time. This could be where its worth having a look at a CRD2 tuning box instead for a little more money...

Either way, once you are putting out upwards of 180bhp its worth looking at improving the standard SRi chassis to make the most of the extra power. I'd consider a decent spring kit and maybe strut braces.

J
    2006 Astra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150 5dr XP
    - DTUK 'Green' Eco3 Tuning Box
    - K&N Panel Filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast