Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cold idle

Hi all,

Normally, my Astra used to rev up to about 1200rpm for a minute or so when first started in the morning. It doesnt do this anymore. The car will start and then rev as normal (around 700rpm). Ive cleaned the EGR and there are no abnormal lights showing. The ICV seems to have been blanked off so I cant clean this.

Anything else I can check out?

Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my crystal ball seems to be on the blink today so im gonna have to ask u to give us your car details instead!!!

the fact you say the "icv has been blanked off" leads me to suggest its a Z series engine used from 2000 onwards which didnt have a independent ICV

you could try cleaning the throttle body and EGR valve out with some carb cleaner and see how things improve.

Have you fitted anything of late that could have coincided with the erratic idling?

If otherwise everything runs as it should then I wouldnt worry about it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry its a MK4 with the X18XE1 engine. My workshop manual states that it has a ICV, although it looks as though the ICV has been removed and blanked off already. Ive tried cleaning the EGR and nothing new has been added onto the car.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The X18XE1 is the ugly ducking within the Mk4 range in that its the only X series engine without an independent ICV

the motor that control the ICV within the throttle body itself is notorious for breaking down and causing idling issues - a replacement unit costs a few hundred but 2nd hand ones can be had quite easily

should it be of any interest a brand new one can be had for £150: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Throttle-Valve-Body-X18XE1-90543949-VectraB_W0QQitemZ190301570213QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item190301570 213&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A 2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A 50

Bargain!!!! some retal at close to 300 notes

the best thing you can do is remove the TB fully from the car and give it a full going over with carb cleaner - clamp off the coolant hoses so u can remove the TB itself.

there was one avail in the classifieds of late but Id imagine its long gone as a few ppl expressed an interest.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are you saying that the throttle body with the X18XE1 engine has the ICV integrated within the throttle body?

To take the throttle body off, does the gasket need to be changed as well? Would it be better to put a Z18XE1 throttle body onto my X18XE1 engine or arent they compatible with each other?

Thanks