Thread: judders when pulling away

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

judders when pulling away

My mate has recently bought a 2003 1.6 8v club with 60k on the clock, when pulling away, the car judders, but drives fine all other times, smooth gear change etc its just initially pulling away, also pulling away in reverse. Ive had a quick look at it for him today, and the front engine mount was shot to bits, so I have replaced that thinking that was the problem, however it is still there, I now think that the judder has caused the engine mount to fail prematurely???

Its hard to explain, but its an engine judder, not steering / suspension etc.
    possibly clutch????

Any help or suggestions really appreciated, as dont want to go to garage who will say wants a clutch or something when it doesnt.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Also he says sometimes its worse than others?? doesnt seem to be a bad when starts the car from cold on morning??? dont take to much notice of this though as he could just be imagining it LOL

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Think its normal mine does it too, and in regards to being cold its better could be because the engine is cold and idles a little higher.
    Kind Regards,

Dean

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    dont think its normal mate as its quite a nasty judder, and my 2002 1.6 16v with 65k doesnt do it

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I find mine does it when cold and as you press the clutch revs drop to about 500 then goes to normal which is about 750. Only on that drop it judders, mine use to judder when holding at 30mph. Oil change , oil filter and TB cleaned did the trick. Maybe give them a go or could be something related to the egr valve.
    Kind Regards,

Dean

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    its not that kind of judder mate, not like a missfire judder etc, its like a broken engine mount or clutch judder

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is it only when u lift the clutch up?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob16v View Post
    is it only when u lift the clutch up?
    I dont really understand what you mean m8?? is there any other way of pulling away in first gear or reverse without lifting the clutch up??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Probably the EGR valve on its last legs . . . Try cleaning the throttle body and EGR with carb cleaner. . . Try blanking the EGR off with a plate available on ebay for 2.50. Keep EGR connected to wiring tho. See if this eliminates the problem . . . You can then decide to keep it blanked off or replace it

You could do the pedal test too to see if there's any codes stored. . . Do a search mate as i.m on phone and can.t send links

Hope this helps

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    Probably the EGR valve on its last legs . . . Try cleaning the throttle body and EGR with carb cleaner. . . Try blanking the EGR off with a plate available on ebay for 2.50. Keep EGR connected to wiring tho. See if this eliminates the problem . . . You can then decide to keep it blanked off or replace it

You could do the pedal test too to see if there's any codes stored. . . Do a search mate as i.m on phone and can.t send links

Hope this helps
    no codes stored mate unfortunately, ive already tried cleaning the egr to no avail, ill try blanking it off.