Thread: Our New Car.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Our New Car.

As most of you will know we were in the market for a new car (see here)

We had a maximum budget of £7K to spend and wanted a newer car as possible but without it feeling a backwards step to the Astra.
    We also wanted something a little smaller but with equal performance and spec

So our short list was

Clio DynamiqueS 1.6
    Fiesta ZetecS
    Corsa

So after a week or so looking around we went and spent all day today test driving different cars

The first to drop of the list was the Fiesta - even the ZetecS the seats weren't very supportive or comfy enough. driving it great but i couldn't see myself driving halfway across the UK doing a days work and driving back again.

The Corsa was soon to follow but only because they are holding their value too well so we would have to get an older higher mileage one to fit within our budget

So that left the Clio. Comfy seats, good handling car, but even the 1.6 didn't seem to be that punchy which suppressed us both. We both drove it and both said that it seemed slower bottom end than the Astra but better high end. The trouble is Clare doesn't feel comfortable hanging the revs out when she is driving. There was quite a bit of of wind noise as well and I wasn't convinced with the active steering assist as well...I’m sure we would get used to it but it felt strange

Whilst out looking we can across a couple of Fiat Bravo T-Jets.

We both liked the exterior looks and the interior looked a lot better than the Clio.
    So we took a couple out for a test drive and whilst the cars handling wasn't as good as the Clio the car was lot better spec'ed and a lot more comfortable to drive with a 6th gear for the motorway. Less wind noise and seemed better built. Seats we comfortable and offered side support without being to OTT..also for the same money it was a year newer with less miles

So after much debating and going back the car a few times we decided to sign on the dotted line.

Neither of us had ever considered a Fiat, let alone a car as big as the Bravo (remember we wanted smaller) but we couldn't argue with the amount of car we got for our money. £7K for a 57plate with air con, trip computer electric windows and mirrors, CD player, city parking that can be turned on or off at the drivers wish. Just under 10K miles, 1.4 turbo petrol with 150BHP and 150lb.ft Torque, Will be coming with a full service

As you can see completely different to what we had original thought of but it was within budget, feels a step up in interior comfort to the Astra, nice to drive and definitely isn't slower than the Astra. Insurance is a little higher at Group 10 but insurance wasn't the main factor restricting us but we had to like the car before paying the extra for it.

Above all Clare Loves it….so that’s me one happy man

Some images for you. We were torn between this light blue colour and a dark metallic grey both were the same cost but the dark grey had 3K more miles and a few scratches so we settled for the blue, which doesn't have a mark on it.

We pick it up next weekend.

We are seriously considering some choice alloys to set it off a bit from the money we make from the after market bits off the astra

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    not bad cars more or less a corsa in Drag ?or corsa is same as that
    I like them one of the office girls has a turbo one its nippy an i also like the seats

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i thought the punto shared the same chassis as the corsa...perhaps the bravo does as well

this is the 1.4 T-Jet 150 which is the turbo 1.4 petrol 150BHP they also do a 120BHP version

0-62 in 8.5 seconds
    top speed of 131

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice stats and it has to be said quite a nice car. Never thought I'd say that about a FIAT lol. Should see some fantastic fuel economy and its still quick enough. Have you got a warranty with it?

Defo get some different alloys on it and maybe drop it 30mm, other than that keep it how it is imo.
    Astra coupe turbo 280bhp-sold
    BMW E60 5 Series M Sport

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim1547 View Post
    Nice stats and it has to be said quite a nice car. Never thought I'd say that about a FIAT lol. Should see some fantastic fuel economy and its still quick enough. Have you got a warranty with it?

Defo get some different alloys on it and maybe drop it 30mm, other than that keep it how it is imo.
    18months warranty which is the main thing we were after as we haven't exactly had hassel/expense free motoring recently.

A 30mm Drop would look good...its not a car to suit a spoiler or body kit so as you say a sutble suspension drop and the right set of alloys and it will look smart.

Expecting economy to be simliar to the astra - mid 30's or just below round town high 40's/low 50's on the motorway - round tax is cheaper too

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    make hte most of the warrenty mate any thing that seams a little odd lights on dash coming on etc get it in asap brother inlaws putno has gone back to fiat for good after a long time trying, 1.4 turbo looks interesting specs mate should be a fun little/mid sized car
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Never saw that coming........

Quote Originally Posted by A5TRA 59ORT View Post
    i thought the punto shared the same chassis as the corsa...perhaps the bravo does as well
    You thought right, the Bravo doesn't.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keif View Post
    Never saw that coming........

You thought right, the Bravo doesn't.
    nor did we but its a lot of car and reasonable performance for the money.

We couldn't have got an Astra or Focus as well spec'ed with the same perfomance and importantly as much warrenty for that money and as much as we wanted a small car...well Clare did, we soon realised that we had got used to the medium size hatchback.....the only worrying thing is the boot is massive and the first thing Clare said....ooh..ooh...i can get loads of shopping in that.....so thats us now bankrupt

Just out of interest does the Bravo share its chassis with any other cars?

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hide the bank cards then!

The Bravo's platform is a revised version of the old Stilo's, and is used on the new Alfa Romeo 149

This may be of interest too.
    http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...-design-story/

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    excellent, cheers for the info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast