Thread: cctv for outside

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

cctv for outside

Just wondering if anyone has cctv set up outside on to there cars? If so whats the best camara to buy for night use

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Use a CCD camera and one that will work in low LUX levels.
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this is something iv thought about before too

kr00zin_uk
    Ideally look for one that works in low LUX levels and get one with lots of built in IR (infra red) LED bulbs for taking close up images, also get one that automatically switches to black and white in low light.

If you want to be able to identify someone's face at a distance you will need one with a good optical zoom, not digital as it interpolates the picture.

If you are away from the area and want to control the camera remotely get one with PTZ (Pan, Tilt, Zoom) controls, these usually have guard functions built in so they can automatically patrol a defined area.

Finally if you want to be able to control the camera over the internet, get an IP network camera with a built in web server.

Also remember, in the CCTV world, you definitely do get what you pay for!

AXIS do a good range of IP network cameras and are one of the market leaders worldwide:

http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/index.htm

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wanted a camera watching my drive after my car was broken into, when I enquired to have one put on the outside wall of my house, I was told that I would need planning permission from the council.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenDrew View Post
    I wanted a camera watching my drive after my car was broken into, when I enquired to have one put on the outside wall of my house, I was told that I would need planning permission from the council.
    Who told you that?

The Police officer I spoke to said it was fine but if it recorded anyone else's property I would need their permission (Which I asked for and was OK'ed)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think if the camera views public property you have to get permission from council etc, and then you will prolly have to put big signs up saying "CCTV cameras in operation in this area" or sumthing like that. I dont think thats the case if it JUST videos your own property.

I'm sure thats what i saw on telly anyways.
    For free hugs PM me.

For sex, pm cabriomatt.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As Lee said

Got to be careful where its pointing

If the viewfinder is encroaching onto anyone elses property, you've got to have their permission
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine goes out onto the road (Across a path) and they said its fine.

Said it's ideal as if anything does happen they have evidence.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's as other's have said, you must have permission from owners of private properties to film their property. As for filming the public, there are laws over data protection and who can view images etc. But to be honest, if you manage to get good evidence, the police will be more than happy to view this and identify the offender (more than likely a known person). It may be the case though, that the footage cannot be used in court for whatever reason.

Out of every thing, it is of vital important you spend decent money to get a good camera! There is no point wasting your money on a camera that cannot be used to see suspect's faces or other detail (clothing brands etc). A decent night-mode camera with lots of lines and high quality lens can cost you a fair amount of dosh. As will a dedicated storage solution. It's money well spent IMO.

On a safety note, if you live in an area that may not take to kindly to your videoing of them, it may be wiser to be slightly covert with the camera, for example mounting it inside a window or up in the roof eves. Try to park your car somewhere well lit, within view of your house and away from any main walkways or side pathways. Fold in mirrors and consider the use of steering looks. It goes without saying that valuable items (or anything that could be valuable (i.e. an empty bag)) should not be left in the car. Consider vandalism insurance if you can get it.

And in answer to your question, you could consider a day/night camera with IR LED lights. These will output in colour during light and then to black and white as light fades. Look for one in a waterproof housing with at least 500 TV lines (more the better). Consider one with variable zoom/focus lens as this will make positioning etc easier.

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/sony_day-night_camera.htm is an example. Note the good brand (Sony) and also the high cost. Cheaper cameras may be OK depending on what you need to film (distance, light levels etc). A cheap Maplins £30 job may not be any good but it could be fine if you live on a urban lit street. A DVR is the way to go for recording footage (see http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/digital-recorder.htm). Many allow you to have internet access with some allowing you to control pan/tilt/zoom cameras and link to alarm systems. Most entry systems will film at least 4 cameras, allowing for expansion.

Give us an example of what you need to film, when, distances etc.