Thread: confused : carburettor / ecu ? - orange engine light flashing

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy confused : carburettor / ecu ? - orange engine light flashing

Wifes car has just broken down, its a 96 Astra 1.6LS, no fuel injection.
    we have had a intermittent problem in the past where the immobiliser would cut in, but putting the ignition key into the 'special' setting then back to normal would always sort it out.

Anyway she tried to start it today and symptoms are similar, orange engine light flashing, engine turns over, but engine occasionally fires, think its going to start then dies
    So don't think its immobiliser this time ? it wouldn't fire at all would it if it was imob ?

Have read around it looks like should be able to read some codes via the paper clip trick ( as per HERE )
    But that info states that you can only read codes if its an injection model
    but sure ours is the carb version, but I can see sensors etc one in exhaust manifold area and others

So surely there must be some sort of ECU control monitoring system ( or not ?))

If so how can I read the codes to get some sort of clue what going on ?

Any info/clues/hints gratefully received

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I can't advise much on this apart from saying that all petrol MK3's have fuel injection even if it's just single point

Go and give the paper clip test a try
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's definately fuel injection, otherwise the car wouldn't of been built due to it not meeting emission standards. Do the paper clip test and get the fault codes read.
    124.6 Bhp and 133.5 lb/ft from an x18xe1 (Now Sold)

Now Drive a Corsa VXR

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rather than a breakdown it was a failure to start after work - so maybe that does point more to the immobiliser, although seems odd it was trying to fire into life

Injection - yes, your right, it seems its the "GM-Multec CFi" it just looks very like an old carb - didn't know there was single point injection.
    not found the connector to do the test yet.
    anyway then remembered we had RAC cover - he said it was imobiliser, tried other key no joy then he re-booted it, by disconnecting battery with ignition on and wait 5 mins, then reconnect and that has cleared it !!! - now starts ok ( for how long may be another issue )

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the OBD connector (on board diagnostics) will be in the fuse box as pictured below

you need to bridge pins 5 & 6 and read the flash sequence of the engine management light

a series of flashes and pauses . not them down and report back

my initial suspicion is either immobiliser or fuel issue such as fuel pump relay breaking down

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well the question of how long has been resolved - not very !

Typical sods law, didn't need it over the weekend, but confirmed it started twice during each day.
    Now today, get the phone call , she can't get home from work won't start again - orange light flashing

so to the codes
    It the 16 pin connector is the fuse box like the picture above - so a Simitec 56.5
    The 4 digit code reads as "1503" immobiliser control unit. rather as expected, but there are 3 error listed with that description ?

When the RAC guy was here he said it was probably an issue with the 'key chip' or the 'reader' - well, we know it doesn't work with either key so prob not the key chips

RAC guy gave us a number of someone who could re-program (?) the keys/ecu and/or replace reader for £100 odd

So is it worth going down that route ?

I suppose it could still be the ECU/ Immobiliser itself ( is that one and the same thing ?) - but since it does seem to be able to report codes, so some of its working.

What do you think ?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    duplicate post .......

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had this problem to, i fixed by gettin the key, ecu and immob pick-up ring from around the ignition from a breakers (all 3 items are coded together) then had a new key cut using my key for the key patern and the key from the breakers for the immob code. cost £30 for the scrap bits and £25 for the new key to be cut. some mite say this way is a little more hassel but it saved me a few quid which is always worth it when my car was only worth a few hundred anyway.