Thread: Clutch release bearing advice

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Clutch release bearing advice

right then guys n gals - i have an annoying noise when u release the clutch on idle (no doubt happens in gear but obviously cant tell when driving)

im sure its the slave cylinder on its way out but the annoying and i mean downright annoying thing is that it was replaced together with uprated clutch and lightened fly only 10months ago when rebuilt by C9 RUM.

it started making a noise a few months back - probably a few months into the conversion but i kinda forgot about it - over the last few weeks its worsened and sounds like a bag of hammers on idle

Im yet to speak to Craig to establish if it was a genuine or aftermarket part that was used but would I be correct in thinking if this has failed or even just starting to fail then it would be covered by the manufacturers warranty ? is it usually if the fitter is only vat registered?

If so , then what is covered? is it just the part itself or the labour too ?

If it was a simple job Id happily replace it myself but the fact its an engine out, gearbox out, clutch out, slave cylinder out job then u can appreciate im more than a little pissed off.

Ok it may be a little more straightforward but id imagine its a good 3/4 hours worth.

Also ppl recommend changing the clutch when the slave is replaced......seeing as the clutch has done 18k miles and cost £350+ in the first place (Helix) would I still be advised to replace it ?

More unwanted outlay for a part that "should" not be failing within 12 months.

Anyway your thoughts are most appreciated - yes i know i can get a new slave for less than a ton but thats nowt compared to the labour etc.

Anyway whatever thoughts you have on this - feel free to share

For those not aware its a Z20LET running F23 although this should be irrelevant

TIA

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you can get any warranty on it it'll be on the part only Marti.

I wouldn't advise you to change the clutch tho but i would say give it ago your self, it's not that big a job.

Just drop the subframe/steering rack (peice of piss), pop the shafts, unclip the gear cables and clutch pipe then just unbolt the box.

If the warranty doesn't cover the part then they're about £100
    Astra SRi Turbo
    281|317

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i bought one on ebay for £30 delivered the other day - brand new GM so guess im at least gonna save on that

bollocks looks like the ipf fund is gonna have to go on the labour for this instead.... bugger!

thanks for the advice matey - always appreciated.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    i bought one on ebay for £30 delivered the other day - brand new GM so guess im at least gonna save on that

bollocks looks like the ipf fund is gonna have to go on the labour for this instead.... bugger!

thanks for the advice matey - always appreciated.
    Nae worries pal.

Seriously tho, it's not half the job most people think it is, me and my mate can do a clutch in about 90 minutes on a fiesta so it would only take another 20 mins to drop the subframe on the astra.
    Astra SRi Turbo
    281|317

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well I might wait till Gary (member on here) is back from CZ - might be able to do a deal with him afterall he rebuilt his coupe on his drive lol

will look around get some prices for job - just a shame cos was gonna remap instead but this comes first....