Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: newbie first post... Lack of heat and strange electrical behaviour??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question newbie first post... Lack of heat and strange electrical behaviour??

hi guys.. My first post comes after i washed my car today and topped up the water level a tiny bit. since topping the water up, i have noticed that there is no hot air coming through the blowers. This has happened before and i resolved it by fiddling with controls and turning the blowers off then back on again but now im finding that after resetting the blowers, changing temp from hot to cold then back to hot.. Theres still no hot air coming out. My car has air con but i ensured this was switched off...im thinking there might be an air lock in the system? Or heating matrix...? Anyone have similar problems? (mine is a mark 4 sport) cheers.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What is your temp gauge saying you can also try taking of the Water cap and run engine till warm and top up as seen fit to get any air leaks out

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you definatly have air in the system, you need to bleed it out. im not sure where the bleed nipple/ bolt is.
    www.chilled-rc.net For all your RC car/boat/heli/plane needs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is the pollen filter old or new?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure Rob. I will guess the filter is old. Ive had the car a year and not replaced anything on it apart from the air filrter when i had it serviced. The temperature on the dash seems normal but theres just no heat coming out the blowers.

Im aware that the engine temperature is likely to go higher because im not using the blowers and pulling any hot air away from the engine.

Will the car still be ok to drive or should i not touch it?? It seems fine apart from that problem. The ignition lights were staying on the other day after i had taken the key out of the ignition and thats very odd! It was after that , i noticed the heaters had stopped working..

Could it be a simple blown fuse? im going to see if there is a fuse which feeds the heating blowers but im sure the fuse is not at fault as the blowers would not be working at all if the fuse had blown surely?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spidercoupe View Post
    you definatly have air in the system, you need to bleed it out. im not sure where the bleed nipple/ bolt is.
    Will check on that too mate. cheers..Just spoke to a person who reckons it could be a thermostat sticking closed but i thought of that possibility yesterday.

I know these are anecdotes and its hard to sort a problem out without seeing it but a second gentleman at the spares shop has just told me to get some system flush and run the engine with it in. Then advised me to drain the system totally from one of the bottom hoses. then top it back up with water but I dont want to make the situation worse by doing this. He also told me that it sfine to drive the car as water is just not circulating round the blower system but i am still concerned about driving the car incase water is not getting to all parts of the engine..

Really hoping for some sound advice to get this problem sorted. Just keeping you posted.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Run the engine with the water cap of that will release any trap air and top up as needed and turn on the blower and see if it is warm

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks DCA i will try that tommorow.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try the pollen filter too. Even if its not the cause, it will help with ventilation

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Try the pollen filter too. Even if its not the cause, it will help with ventilation
    Thanks Rob, I will do. Do you or anyone happen to know if there is a drain plug anywhere on the astra so I can drain the coolant system properly as opposed to just choosing a low hevel hose and unfastening it??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast