Thread: Felt really Bad today..........

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow Felt really Bad today..........

Was driving home from the gym, and it was cold and pouring it down when i stopped at traffic lights, as i had my music on, and just looked around outside as you do....

across the road in a bus stop was a homeless guy laid on the floor, he was covered up with some tatty blankets and an old pizza box. I just looked at him and the lights went green so clutch down, gear in and go, but i couldn't help feeling bad as this guy was old and trying to sleep out there in the cold and wet

So i spun round when i could and headed back down his way, i pulled up into a shell garage which was just before the bus stop. Parked up, went in bought a buenno and a kit kat, got change and left. I walked up to the guy and woke him up, he looked scared but i gave him the chocolate bars and £2.

His face lit up and he said "Thank You", I walked off, got back into the car and drove home, i thought about it, what does £3 mean to me, a coffee, a snack when i'm not even hungry or even entry into a club that i dont need to be in. But to this guy it was the difference between eating and not eating when he's hungry. And in my opinion that was money better spent.

I realised that i spend all my time looking up and at what i want to have and not enough time looking at what i've got already. Just the basics, a roof over my head, money to eat, warmth and the luxury of transportation.

So i'd like to say this to the members of AOC, Whatever your situation, theres always somebody worse off, so please give to charity even if its only a couple of quid and realise that compared to lots, you are very well off.....

Asim
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fair play to you dude.

We donate to the RSPCA and the blue cross animal welfare place. The RNLI and the Blind peopls charity (cant remember the name). Give a couple of quid if the old boys are out in town for the old war heroes, and my wife does what she can for a local charity at the hospital she works at.

Its not much, and not many people would do what you have done, like you say too many people obsessed with getting more more more and forget what they already have.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    proud of ya mate. I had to call the cops cos there was a bunch of teenagers photographing each other next to a homeless guy who was asleep on an abandoned bed.
    they thought it was funny, esp when one pulled his trousers down to lay a brick just as the cops turned up
    Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well done m8 just done a chartiy car show and rased over £1700 for 4 good couses!
    Back in an astra and loving it

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice one Asim! Shame there isn't more people around like yourself.

kr00zin_uk
    That's very commendable and charitable of you Asim, well done indeed!

Your quite right as well, no matter how bad you think you have it, there is always someone worse off!

I have to say though that I never give money to charity or individual people as most charities employ people and I believe 100% of donations should go to the cause (I know if everyone thought that way the cause would get no money, but they should be run completely by volunteers IMO).

Also the UK pays billions in charities and aid on tax payers behalf every year. And when times are tight, charity should begin at home as no one else looked after me when I have had to choose between feeding or heating my family in the past.

Some homeless people cause it themselves though, for example by giving up work because they are too lazy and once you get so low it's a vicious circle. I have also seen homeless people get given money and go and buy alcohol straight away so you did the right thing by giving him the food.

Also when you think about they don't have it too bad, if you think about all the people that pass by in a city and drop loose change, a pound or more, within a short space of time they could have a stash of tax free money in their hands. And most of them get free accommodation, food, shelter, showers etc. Also benefits and training schemes are on offer for them and job opportunites to get them back to work, but some choose not to take it because they like the freedom (a bit like hippies/travelers).

I'm certainly not saying they have it easy, but as you said there will be people far worse off than them again...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good man..... I give to the homeless guy down here in swindon, I did clock his nike trainers the other day though.......
    Celica T-Sport , Audi S3 , scania r series

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nice to see some people don't just look after number 1! Ggood On you matey!
    Astra Cabby Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice one mate, had a similar story myself.
    I remember being at the fair on a november night when I was 12 and there was a homeless bloke, he was going through the bin at McDonalds and as kids usually do, they started ripping into him so he walked off round the corner, so I nipped round the corner and bought him a bag of chips and his face lit up. I know how you feel mate and its so rewarding.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fair play to that mate, direct help staright to the cause, not through some corrupt government.

Like you say, minimal amount of money, but probably made a massive difference to his day

After a bloke at work from a normal family tried to adopt a dog from various RSPCA centres and failed 5 times, I can say I'll never donate to them again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast