Thread: Clay?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Clay?

I'm new to waxing, I was going to use Dodo Juice purple haze on metalic black, which I belive lasts about 3 months, when its time to wax again do you have to clay or is there a shampoo that gets ride of wax?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You don't need to remove one coat of wax to add another. The reason you'd clay again after a few months would bo to again remove all contaminants from the paintwork to allow the wax to bond to a very clean surface hence giving better protection than waxing over the hidden dirt a shampoo will never remove.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Claying is very much dependant where you live. I used to live next to a railway track and industrial units. Every 2 weeks I would clay the car and remove some form of yellow contaminent from the paint. Now I've moved I clay twice a year, thats it.

I recommend that you clay your car and then when you next wash it clay it again, but keep an eye on the clay and what contamination its picking up. This will show you how bad it is. If its lifting next to nothing off then next time leave it for a few months and retry it. Eventually you'll be able to guage when your car will need claying.

You could also use the touch test which means literally clean and dry your car off and run your hand over the paintwork. If it feels rough and not silky smooth then it could be time to get the clay out. If its your first time claying touch the paintwork after your clay and feel how smooth it is compared to a panel that hasn't been clayed.

If you clay then reapply wax.

Becareful of the shampoo you use as some will strip waxes from the car which is not necessary. For my intermediate washes I use Megs NXT shampoo as its designed not to strip wax. This way you can build upon top of the wax currently on your car.

Hope this helps
    jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no need to remove wax before re applying. infact its betetr to leave it on and top it up. more layers = more protection.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing