Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having your T&C's of employment changed...?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Having your T&C's of employment changed...?

Am waiting on a phone call from the union. Unfortunately, my office seem to be very good at not getting back in touch

So i'll ask here just in case anyone has gone through the same thing.

* Been off work all this year apart from the 1st week in Jan
    * Get a letter from work in Feb saying when i return, there'll be a meeting about proposals to change the T&Cs with regards to working times, hours, etc
    * Have a welfare meeting a few weeks ago & in it, what the lads facebook'd me is confirmed -

Our T&C's/old T&C's say we have a 40hour working week. It's a building firm so has been hit by lack of work (think Travis Perkins sort of thing). Last year we were put on a cycle that reduced our hours, but we'd get paid the 40. When the first time someone worked LESS than 40, it didn't go down well with the powers that be, so from then on, if you looked like you weren't going to get your 40, you were asked to come in earlier at the end of the week. If you refused, you wouldn't get paid your 40hrs as you'd turned the work down.

* in this meeting, i'm told they can no longer garuntee 40hours.

That's as much as was said.

I've no idea where i stand.

I understand they can change things, so there's no point in fighting that, but "we can't garuntee 40hours" is a very open statement.

I was told they usually do get 40, but sometimes only get 38 (so i assume will now only get paid for 38 )

The thing is, what is stopping them from saying, we don't need you next week & you're a week without pay (to us an extreme example)? Or, we only need you for 1 day next week - so for 1 week you only get a days pay.

THAT is my concern. As come winter, the hours will drop anyway.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no mention of any pay this time around though? so you do less hours and get the same pay? or is it as it was before?

take it somewhere and get it looked at
    Celica T-Sport , Audi S3 , scania r series

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    doesnt sound good.
    at least they're keeping you on, even though youve got the possibility of less hours.
    its better than being laid off

kr00zin_uk
    I agree with resu and think they are being very fair.

At least you still have a job and they haven't laid you off due to lack of work!

Reduced hours is better than no hours, even if it means tightening up your expenses for the next few months to cope with the drop in income.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think what will happen is they'll reduce your hours.
    You will get paid only for the hours you work.

Friend of mine is in a building supplier shop. They have been put on a 3 day week.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Hey atleast MOTing your car should be a lot simpler than MOTing your EX. Replacing a worn out bush on a car is far easier.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Bigstring: nope. All i got told was "we cannot guarantee 40hours". Before, you could work 38hours & they'd pay you 40, well, they had to, but after i was the first one to work under 40hours, they put a stop to paying people for hours they didn't work by telling them to come in earlier on a Friday (you'd only likely not get your 40 1 week in 3 due to the rota where you'd start later that week. So if it was likely you'd not hit 40 by the end of the week, then on the Friday, you'd be told to come in at 'NORMAL' time). Hope that makes sense.
    No mention of pay. It makes me think that if we only hit 38hours by the end of the week NOW, then we'll only get paid 38hours.

resu: Very true mate. It IS better than being laid off..........but can they do it is the question. Can they have it so 'up in the air'. OR, will they have to say, we can't garuntee 40hours, but we will garuntee 35hours, 37hours, 37.5hours etc (examples). Can they get away with such a degree of uncertainty

and the union STILL haven't called back

kr00z: very true. Like i said above though - i know they can change the T&Cs as with proper notice they can do that. Question is can it be so uncertain? Take it to the extreme & i may not be needed for a month. That's bills for a month mounting up with no income to pay them with. I know it's a very extreme example, but what's stopping them from being so extreme? Anything?

joe: I think some of the shop lads are on that system.
    For us, at the moment, i think if you don't get 40, you'll be not too far off it. It's sh!t having no garuntee though & i'v eno idea if they can do THAT which is why i need the union to call me back.
    Thing is when it comes to winter & gets even quieter. Rather than make people redundant & pay out redundancy, are they likely to offer so few hours that you HAVE to leave yourself. Or can they not get away with that?

That's the question. Having only ever worked here since i was 14 & i'm now 25, it's all i've ever known as far as work goes.

kr00zin_uk
    As they are your employers, they can create, change and terminate your contract as your job requires.

If there is less demand for you, they can reduce your hours. If they want to split you between 2 offices, or split your shifts/working pattern, they can. If your job isn't there, they can get rid of you altogether.

Nothing in life is guaranteed, apart from maybe the fact that some time you will die (unless some anti-death product is invented).

Unfortunately it's a sign of the current times, keep an eye out for some casual part time work to fill in the gaps if you are worried about cash flow. You could also look for work at another company, but bear in mind that it could be last in, first out, if they decide it's time to off load excess staff.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like there going to change your contract so that is states you only get paid for the hours you work rather than the 40 hours per week you were paid regardless of whether you worked them or not.

The company i worked for till friday gone made a change like this about september last year but rather than make this sort of change they changed the way we earned our money. I worked for a scaffolding firm and they made it so you only got paid for the amount of scaffold you erected rather than the hours you worked. So if they didnt have any work for you it was rather hard to earn your money.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Union called.

Basically so long as it's not just myself (it isn't, it's 2 departments) and it's only temp due to the current situation with the way the industry is, then it's a case of like it or lump it.

I've been told though, that i MUST get this in writing - that it's a temporary measure to deal with the current situation & when levels pick up again, it is to be reviewed.

However, i was told if it's a permanent fixture, then i am to get back in touch with the union as they will challenge it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The same thing has happened with my second job. THey called a meeting and told us that the bookings are crap ATM and they are only giving out the minimum number of hours, and the people who have the job as their main job are the ones getting the scarse hours. What I don't understand is, my dad who is retired from the police, and earns more then me from his pension, is still getting hours :|

We're not even on contracts in the job as it's classed as casual part time employment, even though one guy was doing 80 hour weeks!

Look on the bright side, at least ya have still got a job, which is always good ATM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast