Thread: EGR questions

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

EGR questions

I have for some time being having issues with the car (x16szr) hesitating under acceleration both on lpg and petrol. It has got worse as time went on.

After some googling - a bloke had the same issue and replaced his egr.

This morning I disconnected the egr and the car now runs as smooth as a babies bottom, on lpg and petrol. In fact it has never run as well.

A coupla questions :

1 - by disconnecting teh egr the engine management light comes on - is there a way to turn this off - perhaps by connecting some of the egr wires to make it look like the egr is still connected.

2 -will the disconnected egr cause any mechanical problems?

3 - why bother blanking off the egr, can I simply leave it disconnected. Why do people blank these off at all?

I'm well pleased with the performance so will put up with the fault light on the dash if this can't be sorted. May even take out the bulb if it comes to that.

Ta
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you blank it off you can then just bolt or tie up the egr to one side so it is not in operation but the ecu still thinks it is present . If you just unplug it you will get the EML light on .

Have you tried cleaning the EGR valve and use a hook piece if coathanger up the inside to push the plunger out to give it a good clean and lube . May just do the trick for a while .

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine was cleaned on my diesel one thursday and the amount of s*** that came out was unreal.

the car runs much better.

Try a good clean before blanking off

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good advice - will try and clean first. Like the idea of just leaving it plugged in but not actually connected to the inlet manifold to keep the engine light off. Nice bit of lateral thinking that.

Does anyone know the size of the bolts that hold the egr in place? They are rusted and I need to get the correct size of bit before having a go at them. I've soaked them in wd40 a like and will leave it a couple of days (probably next weekend) before having a go at them.

Fleabay have these blanking plates for 2 and half quid.

I take it that there will be no ill effects from just not using the egr?

Ta
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.