Thread: help - ammo needed to argue with garage!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

help - ammo needed to argue with garage!

You might have read my thread about my 1.6 twinport overcooling

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...27#post1784527

Well i took it to garage i bought it from 3 weeks ago and he said thermostat was fine.

I beg to differ, i called him back and we had a kind of disagreement so i need some help to confirm a few things.

1. my TOP radiator hose warms up gradually. It should stay cold then get hot suddenly when engine has warmed up (true/false?)

2. he said NO, it's the BOTTOM radiator hose that you should check and it gets hot so its fine. (true/false)

3. just to check, does my TOP hose lead from the passenger side of the radiator to the thermostat on same side of engine?

4. bottom radiator hose leads from driver side of rad to water pump?

Also, both of these rad hoses dont even go to top or bottom of rad, they go into the middle of the rad sides!!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The only way they'll know the thermostat is fine is by taking it out and checking it in a pan of boiling water to see if it opens/closes correctly.

If the temp goes up at standstill but drops significantly when driving, then goes up again quickly at standstill then in all likelihood the thermostat is stuck part or fully open.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is the engine code Z16XEP or Z16XER?

if so its a common fault for the whole thermostat housing being faulty.

not necersarily (if thats how you spell it lol) the actual stat at fault!

the housing has built in sensors which mainly causes faults for cooling problems.
    Astra MK4 1.6 5dr SXi {work in progress}

fdrightup
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan80 View Post
    You might have read my thread about my 1.6 twinport overcooling

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...27#post1784527

Well i took it to garage i bought it from 3 weeks ago and he said thermostat was fine.

I beg to differ, i called him back and we had a kind of disagreement so i need some help to confirm a few things.

1. my TOP radiator hose warms up gradually. It should stay cold then get hot suddenly when engine has warmed up (true/false?)

2. he said NO, it's the BOTTOM radiator hose that you should check and it gets hot so its fine. (true/false)

3. just to check, does my TOP hose lead from the passenger side of the radiator to the thermostat on same side of engine?

4. bottom radiator hose leads from driver side of rad to water pump?

Also, both of these rad hoses dont even go to top or bottom of rad, they go into the middle of the rad sides!!
    once the thermostat is open top and bottom hoses should be the same temperature eg coolant circling around the system also the thermostat opens slowly the coolant temperature starts melt the wax then the spring on the thermostat opens it, the thermostat starts to open at certain temp
    (eg 85 c and then is fully open at 95/100 c)
    ?does your heater in the car get warm or hot,
    ? is there a air lock in the cooling system