Thread: gonna paint the headlights. What's legal?

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

gonna paint the headlights. What's legal?

Going to take my lights apart this afternoon, primarily to clean them but while they're open I might give them a bit of paint. I've read a few threads on here and seen the pictures, and am comfortable painting the surround black or another dark colour. But have people painted the chrome reflector inside the light as well? AND the clear lens at the front of the unit? I'm confused, as I love the look of darker headlights but am unsure as to what is legal with regards to darkness? What products have people used to paint the lens and reflector? And will halfords sell these products?

Cheers people!!
    2000 1.8 CDX money guzzler a.k.a Bessie

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    At a guess, painting anything other than the internal surround is a bad idea, though I think some 3rd party headlights have a slightly tinted plastic lens.

Just tinting the internal surround makes the whole lamp look much darker but doesn't affect the lighting output at all.

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah I thought that much! Wasn't originally planning on painting the lens but thought it might look good. Can't really afford the the pre-smoked headlights as I've spent so much on paint in the last week!

Do you have to be a proper retard to melt the lights in the oven? As I've never done it before you can understand why I'm a bit wary! Although anything is better than the scummy yellow lenses on the lights at the moment!

Is there a way to tell if the re-sealed lights are moistureproof or is it just a case of the waiting game?
    2000 1.8 CDX money guzzler a.k.a Bessie

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I put the oven on the lowest setting for about 15 minutes, and then turned it off, before putting the lights in for a few minutes to warm the sealant through. A messy and awkward process if you ask me though