Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitting monitor to center console... who's good at filling?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fitting monitor to center console... who's good at filling?

who's good at filler work? will be ordering my in car PC and monitor at the end of the month and wondered if anyone would be able to help me modify the center console to house the monitor.
    I know i'd probably do a shit job, hence the reason why i'm asking.

Andy
    Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im mid centre console mod atm lol
    ive taken loads of pics so far

ive gone for a 7" monitor as i didnt want to be cutting into the frame of the console and make it weaker

anyway ive taken delivery and have got the front bezel off the monitor and im now trying to think how i can keep the bezel in position whilst i throw filler at it.

1st thought would be to use fibre glass (only a couple of thin sheets) to hold it in place and then filler on top of that.
    i dont know if that would be the best way to do it?

another idea would be to make a stand out of poly styrine and do it that way.

tbh i dont think you can go far wrong with filler its the sanding that will be tricky but even then if it goes wrong just whack some more filler on

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can go very wrong with filler mate. Best bet is to get some fibreglass compound to do most of the world, filler is exactly as its name suggests, its just for covering impurities not to build up shape or anything like that. I would use fibreglass compound to hold the frame in place, a little matting and resin to bridge the joins then filler to finish everything off

Hope that helps.
    WWW. FUTURESHOCKAUDIO .CO.UK
    Back in the Vauxhall fold - Astra Turbo & '82 Merc sadly missed, Two VX220's should keep me happy though

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just used hot glue gun to 'tack' it inplace
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When I fitted my Monaro pod to my console I started by cutting the console as accuratly as possible, this way less filling is required.

I then used a hot glue gun to hold the two parts together and fibregrass to bridge the main part of the joints. Filler was only used to finish off the joints rather than to make them.

Using a filler primer and being prepared to rub it back to plastic time and time again untill you have a smooth finish is also nessesary (a bit like painting in thin coats rather than a thick one).
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can do filler work

One of my many console mods lol. Not only do work on consoles, done a good bit of filling work / moulding etc car related. Please excuse the dust in above pic, was a nightmare to keep the dust off for the first couple of weeks!

Can't remember all of what i read above now, but for attaching one item to another, if its a type of plastic, you'd be best off really using some sort of plastic weld.

Although you'd probably be fine just using some resin, no need for the glass matt unless your trying to fill a hole or mould a shape.

Don't just use bodyfiller to attach pieces together, it'll only end up cracking and falling to pieces.

Don't bother with the glue gun, god knows why some of you are using those? Deffinatly not my preference anyway :P

As a temp stick down measure, use some sort of epoxy glue, or if best use some masking tape. Then you'll want to either plastic weld / resin or fiberlgass where required.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glue gun is to tack it in place so the fibreglass can be added for the stength.
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers lads, well I've got the console already so now all I need to do is to buy the monitor and give it a whirl. TBH the things I've done in the past with fibregalss have finished alot better than the things I have tried using filler, so hopefully i'll have a semi decent finish
    Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dano2k0 - Why do you say not to use glass matting and a glue gun? A glue gun is perfect to hold things in place while the fibreglass compound is built around it, and matting is ideal for bridging gaps. Especially when you want to prevent cracks...

Definitley not just resin, resin is purely to hold glass matting in place.

Good luck Demogorgan - get some progress pics up when you crack on, and if you need any advice fire away on here
    WWW. FUTURESHOCKAUDIO .CO.UK
    Back in the Vauxhall fold - Astra Turbo & '82 Merc sadly missed, Two VX220's should keep me happy though

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fred666 View Post
    Dano2k0 - Why do you say not to use glass matting and a glue gun? A glue gun is perfect to hold things in place while the fibreglass compound is built around it, and matting is ideal for bridging gaps. Especially when you want to prevent cracks...

Definitley not just resin, resin is purely to hold glass matting in place.

Good luck Demogorgan - get some progress pics up when you crack on, and if you need any advice fire away on here
    cheers buddy, I know i'll pick everyone's brain at some point lol

now a question of which monitor, which is posted here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast