Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z16XE Overheating after new coolant temp sensor (Help Please)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Z16XE Overheating after new coolant temp sensor (Help Please)

Recently my cooling ECU light kept coming on intermitently. I brought the car to the garage today and they fitted a new coolant temperature sensor.

Before the new sensor the car ran at just under 90 degrees (about 87-89) but now appears to be running at 92-93 with the fans more or less constantly running once the car is warmed up.

Could the wrong sensor have been fitted, or any other ideas on what could be causing the car to run hotter after the sensor change?
    2001 Vauxhall Astra MK4 1.6 16v SXI Flame Red

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    When did the car last have the thermostat replaced? They don't last forever you know
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ditto - for a car of that age it's likely the thermostat is defunct. I'd have hoped they'd change it at the same time as the CTS but perhaps not - an easy job though and around £25+VAT for the part at Vauxhall.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my suspicion is that the CTS was perfectly fine and the problem lies with the coolant control module - fitted behind the bumper on left hand side

also CTS could be wrong spec - i fitted the wrong one on my ZLET the other week - the diameter of the insert was smaller than the OE one which led to the gauge not registering and the fans not cutting in. Its another possibility but my original theory is still at the top of the list - mine is goosed and plays up every now n then but not enough of a concern at this point in time

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They said it was either the control module or the CTS. The thermostat hasn't been replaced as far as I know but wouldn't it be a bit of a coincedence that the thermostat went just as the CTS was replaced?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the fact your fan kicked in at the correct temp prev suggests to me it was ok

the light on the dash is almost always the CCM

its just a case of tracking one down now if thats the way u fancy going.

you could stick ur head underneath and see what IDENT code is on the existing one. it will be either CG or WG for your Z16XE - earlier X16XEL models (amongst others) used the FR so it may even have one of these

theres usually a few on ebay if u take a look

CG: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-FAN-CONTROL-MODULE-UNIT-CG_W0QQitemZ390037419050QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item390037419050&_ trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65% 3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

WG: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-Astra-99-model-fan-control-unit_W0QQitemZ270281922518QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item270281922518 &_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|6 5%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

FR: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-MK4-COOLING-FAN-RELAY-ECU_W0QQitemZ400040817761QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item400040817761& _trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65 %3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

fdrightup
    Quote Originally Posted by lokas View Post
    Recently my cooling ECU light kept coming on intermitently. I brought the car to the garage today and they fitted a new coolant temperature sensor.

Before the new sensor the car ran at just under 90 degrees (about 87-89) but now appears to be running at 92-93 with the fans more or less constantly running once the car is warmed up.

Could the wrong sensor have been fitted, or any other ideas on what could be causing the car to run hotter after the sensor change?
    could be the cooling fan thermo switch sometimes the cooling fan stays
    on and sometime the cooling fan does not switch on or could be intermittent
    (located on the radiator)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post

George is spot on!

I was plagued by similar problems - warning light would come on when temperature reached, fans staying on, fans not coming on at all and no air-con!!!!

Got a new coolant control module from ebay (£30 delivered) and BINGO all sorted!!! I even managed to swap it over without taking the bumper off - you can just get at it from underneath if the cars up on ramps!
    ... indicators do not give you right of way!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to confirm, before buying it. I was away this week but my trip required me to drive 2 hours down the motorway, throughout the whole joruney the temperature stayed at around 92-94 even though I was doing decent motorway speeds. Is the problem still most probably the CCM?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the coolant temperature sensor is faulty the cooling control module will run the fans on stage 4 just in case it is hot.

The fact that it's running below 92 (the thermostat start opening temperature) may indicate a slightly passing thermostat.

Temperature should run between 92 and 100 if it's all working correctly.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast