Thread: Reg plate fitting, tax discs & trim tape removal.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Reg plate fitting, tax discs & trim tape removal.....

1. Plate Fitment

Went to the DVLA office today to get all the hoo-har sorted with the plates. Forgot the screwdriver to take the current plates off so went to it at home....
    ...the raised 'bits' that the screws go into make the plate not sit flush. I've slapped a load of trim tape on the back of the plate but it's definitely a no go!!! I press the middle in & the edges flap away a mile off the bodywork

Looks like i'm going to have to screw the buggers.

Is there any law as such on positioning of the plate? If i line the old plate up on top of the new plate & screw holes, then there'll be say, a screw in the middle of a "D" & it'd look a bit sh!t tbh. If i could slide it sideways a bit it could pass (i THINK)

Problem there is, everyone has theirs central & i'm wondering if shifting it over a bit will make it look sh!te.

2. Tax disc......

Have one of those metal tax disc holders. Put the new disc in it today & noticed the colouring of the 'clear' plastic piece is no longer clear & is in fact yellow due to the sun or something.
    Makes the disc look a tinted colour. Any law regarding this? I can't be faffed taking any chances as my luck i'll have a do-gooder warden spot it or whatever if it's against the law.
    Personally, i can't see what it matters 7 i suppose the chances are slim if there's some law, but i figured i'd ask

3. Trim removal tape.....

that duck stuff from Halfords. Now it's plastered all over the rear of my plates, well due to #1, it's useless, so i could do with it off, but this stuff sticks hard & fast!! Leave it on or is there a handy way of getting it off?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1. all i know is that as long as the plate is straight its ok

2. it dont reli matter m8 mine went black with muld when i had it on my moped and didnt do anything

3. i would say the same way as u debadge it m8
    Back in an astra and loving it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    1. Get coloured covers for the screws, avalable in White, Yellow & Black from most motor factors.

2. Unless it's that badly faded you can't read the disc it should be fine. If you're paranoid, buy a new holder.

3. Try some panel wipe or thinners.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Well i put the old plates on top of the new ones, blu-tak through the holes so i could see where the holes should be & the front plate lines up perfectly fine for drilling. The rear plate, well i need to move it about 1-2cm left so that the screw goes right through a letter instead of hanging off the letter & looking shit. The shed is locked so need to wait on my dad getting back for that. Have ordered in some plate fixings off eBay on the cheap.

Totally forgot about bikes. You often see it faded. That'll do nicely. Ordered in some adhesive pads off eBay for the holder earlier.

One of the strips was peeling at the corner a bit so i think i may get away with just peeling it all off as maytbe it's not been on long enough to be TOTALLY stuck.

Cheers.