Thread: Conversion guide?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Conversion guide?

Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction to doing a Z20LET conversion on my MK4 1.8 convertible. Is there a guide somewhere as to what i need to do it? thanks for any help
    working progress. clean! Beautiful

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You'll need a Z20LET engine.

And a lot of time.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    /\
    ive only ever seen a guide for the corsa c.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    you need a Z20LET engine an wire loom along with a weekend

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was thinking more of a list of items required for the conversion. I know i need an engine thanks 'domino' - i.e are the engine n gearbox mounts the same and i've read somewhere that i need the dash loom aswell as the engine loom. if this is true can anyone tell me why? and is my fuel pump sufficient or will i need an uprated one ect? cheers
    working progress. clean! Beautiful

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i believe you need the dash loom but ive read that some mk4's dont need it.
    mounts will be the same but im not sure about the fuel pump.
    you definitely need the engine loom and ecu.
    transponder, key chip.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rear engine mount is different so you'll need that.

You'll also be needing the driveshafts, and hubs as the splines are different.

If youve got ABS you'll also need the ABS pump from a turbo model, and be warned you'll need a hose adapter for one of the pipes.

You don't need to swap the dash loom, i didn't anyway but i will be doing later this year so i can fit the trip computer etc.

You will need the bay loom, ECU, chip and transponder as above.

Depending on what model 1.8 you have it may vary i'm not too sure, but i can tell you on my SRi that had the Z18XE engine, you'll have issues with the fuel lines also. The Z18XE doesn't have a fuel return, it has a regulated line straight up and onto the fuel rail.

You will need to add your own fuel return for the ZLET engine, the tank breather is OK and can remain the same, the inlet line is the same and also OK.

The return will ideally need removing from the turbo model also complete right up to the tank. You may need another odd bit of fuel pipe i can't remember exactlly how it went now.

I did fit the ZLET fuel pump, the original one is regulated though if you open the tank, you can probably get away with unplugging the regulator off the return. However i'd recommend just fitting the ZLET fuel pump, its right then once youve bothered to go this far.

You'll also be wanting the in-car gear selector setup and cables through onto the gearbox as i assume yours will be done by a linkage at the moment just like mine was.

Also you'll need a turbo exhaust, or at least some of the exhaust from the turbo on.

Obviously you'll also need both lambda sensors, afm etc etc.

I'd also recommend just fitting the correct radiator in the first place, the cores are much thicker than on the 1.8 rad.

Don't forget you'll also need the intercooler and pipe work etc aswell.

Can't think of much else off hand, i guess this will get you well on your way though.

Just be ready as if you don't happen to get everything in one lot, it adds up very quickly as to how much the conversion costs. You'll also need longer than just a weekend unless youve got brilliant facilities and a good sized team to work on it with you. I did mine in just slightly over a week, bearing in mind through the week i only worked on it in the evening.

Hope this helps anyway.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good write up there dano, although sounds more trouble than its worth tbh!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers matt,

It is alot of work, probably why ive seen a couple of people start such things and never finish them. Always feels well worth it though when its together and done.

Heres mine, been loving it since i got the engine in, also only one in a hand full of 5 door turbo goodness

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano2k0 View Post
    Cheers matt,

It is alot of work, probably why ive seen a couple of people start such things and never finish them. Always feels well worth it though when its together and done.

Heres mine, been loving it since i got the engine in, also only one in a hand full of 5 door turbo goodness

Yeah! Mucho respect due man I wish I had the bollocks/patience to try and do something like that but at the age of 21 I'm already sick of messing round with motors and get frustrated to easily. Just rather take the easy option lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast