Thread: my new console! and some advice

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

my new console! and some advice

Removed the centre console last night - in the dark - and brought it in to sand. What. A. Nightmare. In all I spent about 5 hours sanding it down trying to get that damn rubber layer off. Got some 240 wnd on it but it wasnt getting all of it off. So out came the 120 grit and I BUTCHERED the swine until the console weighed about half as much, then 240 grit then 600 grit. Most of it has come out sound, apart from a small bit round the MFD, but it's hardly noticeable. Have sprayed it the same colour as my car, vauxhall velvet green, and it looks smart. Or at least I think it does!

Have to put it back in in the morning, but my MFD has been broke for about a fortnight. Wasn't too bothered at first, but now I've sprayed the rest of the console it'd be a shame if it was just blank. I notice what I think are LED's in the back of the MFD, they say Osram on them. Wanted to change them to green LED's but not too sure how to go about it, I don't really want to go about soldering when I know I'll **** it up! What exactly is involved in this? I've already tried changing the fuse and it still doesnt work...

Anyway, I'll try and get a picture of the console up now, it's not in the car but you get the gist!

What other parts of the dash would you say to paint? I want to use this colour, it's ace! Also, I don't want to go OTT, and keep any painted items broken up by the black of the dash.

My god I'm rambling now but I have one more question...becuase I have the earlier x16szr model, my car has no rev counter. And I really want one. I read on here it's a straight swap, but can't get my head around it. Surely my car will be missing a wire behind the binnacle that feeds the rev counter, right? I'm off this week so want to get as much done as possible! Cheers for reading all this, ANY advice or opinions are VERY welcome.
    2000 1.8 CDX money guzzler a.k.a Bessie

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice Colour!!
    z20let cabby running 255 bhp, 307 ft/lb torque!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nicely done!

Oddjob is the guy i think you'll want to talk to about the MFD

sry i cant help you about your rev counter

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm have just removed the heater vents from the dash (side ones), is there any way to remove the wheel from the unit as I don't want to spray that green as well. Also, to remove the headlight switch, is it just a case of putting two small screwdrivers down the side of the switch and wiggling till it comes free? cheers

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That looks great
    And interesting read!
    How did you remove the centre console? Did you follow a guide on here?
    [ My Car ]

You're not here for a long time, You're here for a good time!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ya no all i see is ppl telling how much of a ball ache it is to sand these i just had a small brain wave , wouldnt one of them little elctric sander things do the job in minimal time and with less fuss , of course finnish by hand ?
    grrrrr

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have a spare MFD if ya want it?

Colour looks good mate Behind the speedo pod is just a connector which the pod plugs into Could you not just buy a pod with counter and plug it in?

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont know if electric sander would work, especially on the console. dad suggested that, but theres so many corners and contours on there it would probably jusy make the job harder. I did follow the guide on here, but didn't really understand that about not penetrating the rubberised layer.

I figured if i just took it all off back to the bare plastic I couldn't go wrong. The only thing I'll say to people is to take their time with it and get it right, can't imagine how bad it must be to get it all painted then realise theres rough bits.

Took some more off today, namely the top vents on the dash, the entire bit of the lower console from the ashtray to under the handbrake ang got it sanded and primed. Should all be back in the car by Thurs morning so will get a few pics of all my work.

Only problem I had was the side heater vent surrounds. Managed to get them off but couldn't seperate the surround from the adjuster wheels so I'll just leave them. PM'd oddjob about an MFD with green LEDs, that's a job I don't fancy doing myself!

Check back Thurs for more pics!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ooooonice m8 look at my auto bio if u wann pic of what the whole lot will look like as i got the same coulor as urs!
    Back in an astra and loving it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast