Thread: Does Using A Pressure Washer Damage The Paint Lacquer

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does Using A Pressure Washer Damage The Paint Lacquer

hi all, i greatly enjoy washing and detailing my car but im still confused after many years of washing my car. does using a pressure washer damage the car's paint work by removing the lacquer that is the shiny top layer of the paint surface??? a lot of my mates and neighbours have cautioned me of using a high pressure washer, but during the winter months all that salt sticks to my car and when it comes to washing time a normal hose pipe fails to take away the salt and dirt off the bodywork.
    then the dirt and road salt leave swirls and scratches on the paintwork when im shampooing my car, as i believe that by pressure washing i remove more dirt from the bodywork then the my wash mitt picks up less dirt then theres less chance of swirls or scratches to the paintwork!!
    i would like all your advise and opinions to this matter.......thanks

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No it won't cause any damage mate, loads of people use them.

Try getting a snow foam lance for it though (look on cleanyourcar.co.uk). The foam will break up the dirt a bit before using the pressure to blast it off. Reduces the chances of swirls etc even more.

Don't hold the pressure washer point black to the paint and you will be fine mate. Just be a bit careful if you have any dodgy areas of paint or lacquer and take extra care when using the pressure on those area's.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    using a pw will not harm your paint unless used incorrectly. as a pre wash rinse its fine and as a rinse after washing. dont get to close to the tyres as you can damage them, if you any areas of damaged paint or laquer then avoid a direct jet as it will lift it off further.

water will not remove laquer.

swirls and scratches are caused by bad washing technique mainly, see the vid guide.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Use the correct lance atachment and you will be fine. The dirtblaster atchment from karcher and im sure other brands have an equivilent is a big no no and will cause damage. If ever in doubt call up the manufacturer of ya PW, usually very helpfull and no question is a stupid question!
    08 5Dr Design, De-badged, VXR Style pack, Window Tints

55 1.7cdti Astra Van

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Agree with all the above, I use it at an angle rather than directly at the paintwork. Blast off rather than blast in the grit.

Oh and snowfoam rules !

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Start from the top and wash the dirt and grit down.

As above, it's perfectly safe.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring