Thread: Biodiesel

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Biodiesel

With the Climate changing and new cars replacing old cars. I thought about having the engine replaced with a environmentally friendly one. Biodiesel is friendly to the environment.

I've seen the new cars that are Environmentally friendly and i can say i don't like the looks of them one bit they are so ugly. And if we had to say goodbye to our beloved Astra we will be gutted.

So would changing the engine from just Diesel to Biodiesel be a good idea to make it Friendly to the Environment?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why change the engine ? biodiesel is the fuel have used it many times in my 2.0 dti , just advisory but run a tank of bio diesel then change the fule filter as it acts as a detergant. other than that you shouldnt need to change anything. now you just have to find a source of biodiesel .. thats the difficult bit my closest place is 50 miles away so if im in the area i get a tank but i dont think doing 50 mile to get thier just for fuel is very enviro friendly :-)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Make your own i run my car on pure veg oil at the moment. Got a biodiesel processor on the way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    My 1996 Astra has done nearly 20,000 km on biodiesel mixtures without any modifications. Did a bunch of research on it first, gathered all the equipment and supplies to make it on a smallish scale from used oil from a local Thai food takeaway. Same miles per gallon and power, less smokey I reckon. Recently changed the fuel filter but it still seemed quite clean.

Environmentally friendly in the sense that the waste oil no longer goes to the dump, and they say there are fewer emissions. Certainly a bit cheaper than buying regular diesel.

And as mentioned above you can use dry, well filtered used veg oil or mixtures with biodiesel and/or "dino" diesel. Search for "diesel Bob" or "vegetable Bob" on the internet for more info on how different injector pumps handle veg oil and biodiesel.

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 1993 to isuzu engine converted van will also be a veg oil burner. including 2 tank system, heat transfer unit(coolant to oil). The stories i've heared so far are all positive about the isuzu engine. My 1995 X17dtl van runs on a mixture. 66% diesel / 33% filtered veg oil. Run's fine. My mom's X17DTL did have some more bonanza effect then before. But will look into this in the following weeks.

Greetz

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    only trouble with veg bio diesel is that i always want a bag of chips if 1 drives past

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    personally i wouldnt put that crap in mine again the eml came on 1st time tried it

different engine i know but a replacement diesel pump will pretty much write an astra off