Thread: What should I do?

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question What should I do?

Had a bump in the car - some old cow has taken my wing mirror off. Not even a mark on her car.

She obviously wont take liability - she didn't even stop. I had to chase after her. I went straight to VX to get a quote for the parts - £138.35.

Do I call my insurance company and have them claim against her or is there something else I should be doing?

Last time I had an incident with a Royal Mail van - they wouldn't accept liability and Pru (who I was with) were going to withold my no-claims even though I hadn't claimed!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stump up the cash, then find her car and kick her mirror off. Will make you feel better knowing that she'll have to stump up some $$$ for a new one too
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you want to see your money back, you'll have to go through the insurance. I don't think you would be able to file a claim against her in the small claims court without them asking if the insurance was involved first. Not saying it's impossible.

What were the circumstances of the bump? Is she 100% to blame, were there any other mitigating circumstances that could cloud matters?

You mentioned she failed to stop, this is a legal requirement after an accident. Did you manage to stop her and get details? You could consider reporting her to the police if not.

I would say you need to go to your insurance company or you may loose the opportunity to do so later. If she drags her feet in paying up, you will not be able to get help from your company unless you tell them straight away.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You must have made some attempt to recover your loss before going to Court. This means firstly asking her to go through her insurance, if she refuses ask her for compensation, if she still refuses bung in a claim through the small claims procedure - the court will refuse to hear a case if you have not previously taken reasonable steps to recover your loss.

Submiting a small claim is very easy it can all be done on line except for the actual court appearance. From my experience most people pay up just before the case is heard by a judge.

If you do go to small claims, you have to appear in her local court, so make sure she is not too far away before you go for it.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Insurance companies dealing with it all.

Afterall, that's what I pay them for - they're very efficient too.