Thread: Making a sub box

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Making a sub box

At the moment my sub (alpine type R) is just in a cheap box that came free with a Sony sub. Think I will be able to get some better sound with a decent box.

Looking at making a vented one, have a I entered the details in correctly to the calculator?
    Should I use 12mm or 18mm MDF?
    How do you get a decent 90o angle on the edge to join the corners. I only have a jigsaw + hand tools. Guessing I probably need a router?

Mine is one of the two in red, one is the 1242, other is 1222. Can't remember which I have.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    18mm mate

But this will effect the internal volume of the sub box if you used 12mm on the calculator

Really the only way to get straight edges for boxes is to get them on a bandsaw or something alike

What frequency are you tuning it to?

as for venting/porting you have to get this RIGHT, you can't cut corners, otherwise you sub will sound flappy and the port will chuff an awful lot
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    on the calculator it is 0.75? guessing that is inches which works out to be about 19mm.

I haven't adjusted the volume of the box, all I have done is taken the measurements from the Alpine site and stuck them into the calculator. Then made the vent a bit shorter so its 22" same as the website says it should be.

Vent is 1.5" wide at moment, no idea if that is too big or small?

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    To be honest mate, Manufacturers recommended box sizes are quite a way off and generally go by pre-built boxes, you need to try finding out specific specs of a subwoofer like its Xmax ( Excursion distance in mm ) Lowest resonant frequency in hz and then use a more advanced calculator for this, I can't remember any off the top of my head sorry

Best bet is to go to Talkaudio.co.uk they know their stuff on thier and will tell you the exact size box for yuor subwoofer

that is FAR too small for a port too, it will fart and chuff an awful lot
    Click Here

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You can add that data into this calculator at the top, only problem is half the figures on it are in inches, whereas the alpine site gives them in mm2 etc and struggling to convert

All I really want is a bit more volume from it, as for a 500w sub/amp it doesn't really sound all that loud, not much louder than my sony sub running on a 100w amp . The box i'm using must be to blame for this?

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    bloody measurements are a pain when they're all mish mashed

Yeah generally pre built boxes do sound rather flat

Ported and bandpass boxes have A LOT more punch to them, but these are tuned to certain frequencies, and it all depends on what type of music you listen to?
    Click Here

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thats a problem as I listen to everything on it lol

Any thing from Dance/trance/happy hardcore albums, Eric Clapton, Metalica, Dizzee Rascal, general pop shite etc.

If anyone can help design a better box, the sub specs are in this PDF
    http://support.alpine-usa.com/produc..._SWR-1242D.PDF

and the calculator is here
    http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say forget it's recommendations - use Alpines. Aim for 1.3 cubic feet, with a port area of 15 square inches (is that even a unit? crazy imperials..), that's 22.75 inches long. Measure up where you want it to fit in the car, and then work back from there. Ie if you've decided it can be 20" wide by 20" high, it needs only be 14.25" deep (with port attached to one side externally). Designing it without taking a tape measure to the car is kind of pointless..

Oh also, the port can be any shape you like - it just needs a constant area of 15 square inches throughout the whole length, and be 22.75 inches long. You can flare the ends though (recommended too) to minimize chuffing..

And definitely go 18mm mdf . Gl.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    18mm is basicly .75 inches.its just rounded of to the nearest thing.
    is it a 12" or 10" sub
    if its a 12" then u want an internal box area of about 2 ft3 so it has plently of air to move around and it will allow the sud to wang abit more getting better lower end bass.dont make the port to thin/narrow because u will end up wit port noise.make it at least 2" wide as mania said to stop chuffing lol.
    best way to get square cuts is to take the cutting list at the bottom or the box calculator to B&Q and let them do the cutting for u.mite cost abit but u know its a decent cut.then all u gotta do it predrill and pilot hole all the mdf.dont put screws to close to the end of the bit ur screwing into or else it will split.use evo-stick wood glue (green bottle) it will rip the mdf apart befor the glue breaks.then when the box is made,use some kind of silcone sealant to seal all the joint so its air tight.
    hope this helps
    streetbasser

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers all made it yesterday, its probably smaller than it should be, but its a lot bigger (probably twice the size) than the old one.

The sub has so much movement now and sounds hell of a lot louder. Box vibrates a bit a hi volume though so needs to work to hold it together better!