What is it?

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Kev i have sort of!

When i used to run a lot the shop that sold the running equipment made you run on a machine that measured weight distribution, foot positioning etc. This then ensured you got the correct trainers for how you ran and also showed up any areas that could potentially cause you problems/injuries.

Not sure its totally Gait analysis but very similar?
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    very similar, your gait is really the movement of your feet/legs when you walk and how you put pressure on the ground
    Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    yeah that's basically what i'm lead to believe that you do.

Haven't really gone into it in depth on this board, but i'm carrying an unknown injury really. Something to do with the fibula, but they don't know what. Due to this, i'm wanting to minimize the risk of injury as much as possible & was thinking of having this done.

As far as i was aware, they just looked at you running and this was about as much as i knew about it, so my question was going to be what do they do exactly?
    I could go to a shop and buy a set of running shoes, but would rather they suited my feet/style totally, even though i'm not a 'hardcore runner'.

I have no running shoes to take to them when i go through, but i do have a pair of old trainers. Hopefully these will be good enough even though they weren't used for running.
    Having a look, the heal is well worn on the outside of both, especially the left shoe.

No idea what that means, but hopefully they'll be able to tell me.

Probably means silly money for shoes knowing my luck

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    Probably means silly money for shoes knowing my luck
    Not necessarily gait analysis is used for professional where shoes are going to be made specifically for there feet (yes expensive)....BUT can also be used as a recommendation for pressure points of wear so as to give the best high street trainer support....hope that helped but cant help on where to get it done as i got mine done in Norway for specific made ski boots (Biathlon type)

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    from my experience Kev, I went to the shop they got me to run on what is essentially a running machine, but it gives a 3D image of how you put pressure on the pad and then 2 camera's record your feet from the back and side.

You do the initial run in bare feet or socks, they then do some analysis on the results and it tells them what type of trainer you require. I run slightly flat footed, and my left is worse than my right slightly. This meant i needed more support around the ankle and the bridge of my foot.

I got given a variety of trainers that all would suit my posture/style of running ranging from cheap to down right expensive!! Its a great thing to do and the difference is massive wearing trainers that are designed for your feet and how you run. the downside is that they look awful! I used to and still wear Brookes shoes for running as i find them the best price range for the quality.

If you are suffering with back pain, it may well be due to how you walk. My back does get bad and how I walk does aggravate it, and until recently due to a knee problem i currently have, I am addressing my back at the moment with my physio and his collegues .

Hope you get some results mate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    ahh interesting. cheers

finding a place isn't a problem. I know there's a shop in Kendal that'll do it & it's only a couple junctions up the M6 for me anyway.

The g/f rips the p!ss out of me for having chicken legs. They're not that bad, but they're far from looking well muscled. As a result, i had a pair of shoes & they looked like moon boots on the end of my legs. Hopefully the results will allow me to buy something a bit more snug for the the foot, but the priority at the end of the day is not making this injury any worse. It's been 18months as it is now.

As for any back pain, i do get a bit of jip from my back actually. Have done since my mid-teens. All started when i had a poor mattress back then and i've had an iffy back on and off since.

What makes me laugh is when people say "you're too young to have a bad back" like it's age-related LoL

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    my back is from my work, and I have been struggling with it maybe twice a year for about 8 years now, so mid twenties when it started. When it goes I struggle to walk for more than hour and then can not sit down very easily. then 2 days latter its gone and I am working as normal and can walk for hours. Hopefully now I have finally got around to seeing someone I can get to the bottom of it

The main thing you getting it looked at, my left knee gave way around 8 weeks ago and its slightly ached since. i finally went to the physio and my left leg is just under an 1.5'' smaller in circumference to my right, due to me subconsciously not using it to save painand wear. Its nothing to serious but i have to do loads of specific exercises for the next 2 weeks to try and build it up again!

Wish i had gone sooner now

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Went today to find out about what i should be wearing to the local store & not the recommended one at Kendal as i can't get up there so easily for a bit.

He looked at how i stand with jeans rolled up & barefoot
    Saw me crouch, then raise, then crouch lower then raise again

Ran up & down the hill outside with 3-4 pairs of shoes. Some i felt i was sliding do the end of them running downhill & he spotted that something wasn't right with these shoes

Told me the pair that worked best for me at the end of it. Had to ask what he called them - "motion control" he said.

Never showed me any shoes i could buy though which surprised me

Spoke to me about pressure/strain on the calf/outer leg due to running style & shoes to keep the leg straight

When i can, i'll be heading to the recommended store in Kendal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast