Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spitting noise from air intake???

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Spitting noise from air intake???

Hi guys

New to the site and a good read too

I have a problem with my zaf gsi 04 Ive just had a new turbo fitted the noise what i here was not there before i had the turbo fitted??The noise seems to come from the air intake it sounds like a dump valve but a spitting sound it happens when i release the throttle(It sound just like a dump valve but in stages)I can also be stud still and rev the car and still hear it(Ive had a few turbo cars and never heard such a sound.Any help is much appreciated

Thanks guys

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does the standard turbo have a dump valve??If it does where is it?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    on the left of the turbo, there is a small hose coming off the back of it. It is a recirc valve. If you had a vxr turbo fitted it may be overspooling, you should always wind the threads down on a vxr turbo when fitted to a GSi to make it last a while
    Be Happy

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok I taken it back to garage and they said that its something to do with the air filter???Even though i taken the air filter off it still does it they just seem not to be botherd now that they fitted it.Im not sure what turbo they fitted i had a talk with the guy who fitted it all he said was that he taken all serial numbers off the old one and got replacment.thanks for the help mate..Is there any pictures of what i should look for on the site id rather do it myself rather than someone who cannot be botherd

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jalfrezigazee View Post
    on the left of the turbo, there is a small hose coming off the back of it. It is a recirc valve. If you had a vxr turbo fitted it may be overspooling, you should always wind the threads down on a vxr turbo when fitted to a GSi to make it last a while

I'm a little confused by what you mean, wind the threads down so they last a while? Well surely they are set to the correct value from new for a VXR for example so why would leaving it wound upto much kill it on a different vehicle? I was under the assumption that the front BCS controls the wastegate anyway?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mattjk..Do you think it's something to do with the waste gate?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Still doing itIm going to get all new pipe works for the turboIve just bought a courtenay pipe with dump valve and going to get the top power pipe aswell(steel)Hopfully i can do this on my ownI can say that ive had no help what so ever so must try something and update this thread with what im doing to help other people on this site with the same problem if they get it

Ive asked people online and out and about About this problem and people just dont knowWell im not giving up fact

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi

have you changed anything on the car? ie panel filter to induction cone etc?

i recently removed my crossover pipe and airbox and fitted a direct turbo to AFM to induction kit set up, and not the noise from the turbo and dump is far greater.

one thing it could be is wastegate chatter... you tube it.... then let us know
    No longer GSi power
    Dirty Derv Decked Vec is the way forward for me!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nothing changed all i had was a new turbo fitted asoon as fitted noise appearedI dont want to mess around with the wastegate i noticed that the thread had paint on and the bolts to match up where its set.Going to get new dump valve as this one seems a bit loose(Spring i think)Is there anywhere on here where i can get a dump valve i want a dv26

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have a dv 26 and 63mm silicon T Piece in my garage not being used

as for the turbo/actuator, if they have fitted the VXR turbo and not the LET one, the boost is set slightly higher standard, which could be causing slight overboost, inturn causing the wastegate to "chatter" slightly.... i would try adjusting the nuts on the actuator very slightly and see if that helps...
    No longer GSi power
    Dirty Derv Decked Vec is the way forward for me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast