Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Removing sign writing marks

Hi
    Today I set about removing the horrible marks left on my van from the previous owner. As its 9 years old and I guess the stickers have been on it the whole time, the paint underneath them is shiney but the rest is dull. Whats the best way to even the paint out? Wasn't sure about using t-cut so have used turtle wax colur magic plus white (http://www.turtlewaxuk.com/prod.asp?Partcode=FG4087). Its workiing ok but not as well as I had hoped but then again I have only spent a few hours on one side.

Also there is a very think amount of glue left on, so hows it best to remove this? Was thinking petrol or meth?

Can't wait until this is done as it looks nasty
    Many thanks

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can I please have some advice on this, want to crack on with this after I've made lunch. Cheers

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the only way to properly get rid of sign writing marks is to get it mechanically polished at a bodyshop or by a detailer... I dont think there is anything that can be used by hand which will totally erradicate it..
    No longer a Astra Owner
    Now Drives -2006 Skoda Octavia vRs in Race Blue

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It will need machine polishing.

Give a user on here called 'Race Valeting' a ring and I am sure he will give you a good price.

This is what he did with mine: http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=161823
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It doesn't need to be perfect, besides don't have the money for that to be honest lol, thanks though had forgotten he was on here.

So what about the glue, shall I just put a few drops of petrol on a rag and try to rub it off? Petrol and paint can't be good together so don't want to do it wrong and be redoing!
    Thanks for your help guys

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im in the same place mate had ADT plastered all over mine. i washed it and used t -cut and then super resignb poiling its still theere and will need to be machined out but looks much better
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To get the remaining glue off use petrol or thinners but dont rub to hard on sharp edges or it could remove the paint.
    As for the dead paint you will have to cut the paint,you wil need farceila g3 and g10.Its like a t-cut but is more aggresive (used by bodyshops).
    It doesnt need machining as can be done by hand but will take longer and be alot harder.g3 the panel first then g10 it followed by a good wax to protect the shine.If you can afford a pro to machine polish it then go ahead tho as its quite time consuming.hope this helps.
    Europa blue turbo,the best colour by far!
    My auto-biography here- http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=157301

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    to revive the paint the only way is to machine polish it. a local detailer will prob do it for £250 ish. as for the glue have you tried some sticky stuff remover on it?
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertone ben View Post
    to revive the paint the only way is to machine polish it. a local detailer will prob do it for £250 ish. as for the glue have you tried some sticky stuff remover on it?
    Not so,you just need not to be so lazy and put some elbow grease in
    Have been doing it by hand with crappy old vaux paints for years with great results.Like anything machines make hard jobs easier.
    Europa blue turbo,the best colour by far!
    My auto-biography here- http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=157301

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not true. most polishes like g3/megs/sonus are designed for use on machines and by hand you cannot work the polish hard enough or fast enough to break it down properly.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast