Thread: Aircon

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aircon

I don't know if this is the right forum for this but I've got a '57 reg Astra Design 1.9 CDTi 150 hatchback which I bought from a local Vauxhall dealer in January when the weather was obviously cold and it wasn't possible, therefore, to check whether the aircon was working properly.

It's been quite warm today with a maximum outside temperature of 17 degrees but when I pressed the aircon button nothing seemed to happen, even though the light came on. This could be because the air coming into the car was already at the lowest temperature that the aircon would chill it to. However when we got back to the car having parked it in the sun so the interior would get hot and turned the ventilation to recirculate and the aircon on there still didn't seem to be any chilling going on.

Also on previous cars I've driven if you turned the aircon on you could clear a clunk as the compressor cut in. In addition the engine revs would drop slightly. However nothing like that seems to happen with this car.

This could simply be because the ambient temperature isn't high enough yet for the aircon to kick in but I would be grateful for any other comments or advice. Many thanks, GSD.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    There's a chance there's a electrical fault or leak on your AC system.

Charging the AC is a servicable item but if there's still a fault it should be fixed under warrenty
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I had the same problem with my recent purchase of an 05 MK5 CDTi 1.9. Luckily, I noticed because of the warmish weather we had last week. Exactly same issue, turn it on, light comes on, air doesnt seem to be chilled at all. Took it back to the dealer where I bought it from last week, they said it might just need a re-gas, unfortunately, they found a leak in the system and had to order a new part for it. Taking it back in tomorrow for them to fit, luckily all covered under the warranty they provided

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks very much for this and when I took the car to the local dealer this morning they said exactly the same thing ie. that if all it needs is a regas then that will be a service item which cost me about £80 but if there are any other faults in the system then they will all be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. The car is going in on Monday so I'll let you know what happens. GSD

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Apparently the pipe between the compressor and the condenser is faulty so this is being replaced and the system regassed tomorrow, all under warranty. GSD