Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your private plate & why you chose that one?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Your private plate & why you chose that one?

I'm totally undecided on what to be picking. I've basically a choice of 2.

My personality is preferring not to be "out there" "easily noticed" etc. Some folk are loud & what not, i'm not & this is in part why i'm totally undecided.

What's your own private plate & what made you choose it (over any other possibilities)?

Basically my 2 options are as follows...

OPTION1:

Assuming my surname was GORDON, one plate would be similar to...(all numbers in these examples mean nothing personal)

G## ORD or G## RDN(where # in this case would = 22)

To me that's obvious what it's supposed to be without being 'real obvious'. Folk would see it & not necessarily know what it is, might, might not. Not fussed, but if my surname was Gordon, i'd know what it'd mean & that'd do me.

OPTION2:

Obviously, my first name is Kev. This gives me the option of....

K## EVG (where # could be one of quite a few choices from single to double numbers)

This is pretty obvious what it is. Kev G for "Kevin Gordon" (for example). Even if you wouldn't know what the G was there for, it's quite obvious the Kev segment of the plate.

So in this case it's MORE SPECIFIC, but also clearly more obvious & i'm not sold on the idea as i'm not an "obvious" "in your face" type of person. The Kev one is better suited to my name, but the surname one is also applicable in a subtle sense.

There's a bit of a split on opinions at home also, so they're no help lol.

So as well as giving yours & your reasons (unless you don't want to) i'm also looking for opinions on mine (or at least what could possibly be mine) cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If i was ever going to buy one it would buy something like A777 DAM. Although that's a more obvious option my reason is so it's clearly my name (not that I am an in your face person, it's just an extra touch to the car making it more personal). Numbers wise I'm not bothered.

For your option, it sounds like you're more towards option 1. Not sure on any other options for you

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post

There's a bit of a split on opinions at home also, so they're no help lol.
    And you expect an internet site to be different?

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    E7** MEL

I chose it because my name is Jonathon.

Naaa mines pretty obvious tbh.

EDIT: People would think your first name was Gordon if you had a plate relating to that (IMO)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've been wondering about private plates too but it's annoy cause my names Ian and you don't get I's! And now they spoiled moving numbers/letters about on your plate, it's be hard to use a 1 instead. Stoopid gov grrr
    No longer an astra owner

Now a Vectra owner

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Astra View Post
    For your option, it sounds like you're more towards option 1. Not sure on any other options for you
    I'm not particularly leaning towards any. They both have pros and cons & my choice will be between the 2.

The 1st name is more specific, but more obvious. It's specifically me, but if we have a 1-car-relationship, the g/f would have to drive a car around with my name on it (not that it bothers me, but hey ho). Its main pointi s it's so specific, but then everyone will know my name & such when seeing it lol.

The surname is more subtle, but less specific (in an obvious sense). It was my 1st and only choice until the other day when i thought of the Kev one. It sort of says/spells my name if you just look at the lettering. If we go 1-car relationship & get married, then it becomes specific to the g/f also (but again, this doesn't fuss me really)

It's basically, totally specific & obvious & tell everyone who i am sort of thing (sounds silly but i know what i mean) or subtle and "less" specific

Quote Originally Posted by LEE69 View Post
    And you expect an internet site to be different?

Yeah actually, for the simple reason that whenever i ask anyone at home really, their answer is always what they think i'd like to be told rather than what they actually think.

People on a net board wont give a toss, so will give their proper opinions therefore being more of a help

Quote Originally Posted by GTE_LET View Post

EDIT: People would think your first name was Gordon if you had a plate relating to that (IMO)
    shushty it's just an example. I was going to use S# MTH as an example for "Smith" but didn't.

(my name is neither Gordon nor Smith)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do you have a nickname, or go completely the other way and just get a number plate of something random. To be unique have it backwards so it can only be read properly in people's rear view mirror

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Astra View Post
    Do you have a nickname, or go completely the other way and just get a number plate of something random. To be unique have it backwards so it can only be read properly in people's rear view mirror
    My 'nickname' is Kev

I was going to get a random plate. I WAS looking at "moody" such as [M10 ODY] [M20 ODY] basically any number ending in a 0, but they've ALL gone. That's out the window then.

I can't think of anything random that i like either.

Add to that, i have no middle name, therefore no initial for the final 3 letters of a plate.

A few years ago, you used to be able to search for suffix plates [xxx ## x] but the search function seems to have been removed from all sites for suffix plates nowadays & suffix plates only seem to be available on a "take a pick from this specific list" situation.

All makes for a very difficult choice lol.

I wont go for the current style as the next car may be older than the current style

I wont go for anything car specific (A5 TRA) as [imo] that's stupid for obvious reasons.

Which then brings me back to my original option of the 2 mentioned earlier. LoL

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Looking more into it, there are other alternatives actually.

Instead of spelling Kev with K# EV* I could go Kevin

K# VNP (final letter would have to be P for the surname)

Naturally, K3 VNP has gone.

Only thing there is, i hate the name "Kevin" lol and just "dont mind" the name Kev.

this is going to turn into either a not bothering, or a coin tossing situation

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i always wanted DT 51MTH but its gone, there was DT 57MTH but i dont have a 57 reg car lol

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast