Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Planing permission?

What are the rules on planing permission?

Been told by a few people that if what I want to do is small I don't need planing permission?

Basically what I want to do is add a brick porch that is about 1m 30 x 2m 20
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You will need to check with your local council (some are total *****) as you are increasing the buildings footprint.
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i think it depends on the area, some you do due to it changing the look of your house compared to those that are around it. Speak to your neighbours ask them whatt they think. Have other people got them in your road etc?

Ask steve (lordnikon) as he has just had one built.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We live in a semi with our neighbour's being council owned.

The next but one 'block' (3 houses between us) has had a porch built but also taken the front room out to the same level (Was a bay like ours).

Does it cost to have someone give advise?
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We get 10% of the houses footprint, your rules might be slightly different down there though. It does however have to be in keeping with the other properties. We were originally going for a UPVC porch but ended up having to have brick due to the others in the area being brick.

Bear in mind if you want to extend the houses wiring into there then you must get a certificate for any work done in that area.

Also be careful when digging the footings, we almost took out the main electric into the houe with a pitch fork ! pmsl

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    around my way its as long as what you are building has a floor space of less ythan 30square meters and less than 4 meters high you are ok without planning.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Normally anything built onto the front WILL require planning permission, rules vary but typically height over 7mtrs, area more than 70 cubic mtrs and anything closer to the highway than the original development all will need consent. If it extends beyond the building line it will also need permission.

I believe if its connected to the development by an existing door you won't need building regs approval, but probably a letter to say you don't ready for keeping with the house deeds for any eventual sale.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, even if you find out you don't need permission, try and get it in writing, could save a lot of hassle later on
    25 Year old Gte restoration................Started!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    rule of thumb is anything which extends from the original building borders will require either a formal application or the very least a question.
    anything under 10f2 usually doesn't require permission but they like u to ask
    Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Planning permission - no - as long as the porch floor area is less than 3m2 - measured using the outside of the porch.

Building control - no - building control only applies to habitable rooms - a porch is not classed as a habitable room. People fill in their garages and make them into a room without planning or building control as they say that it is a 'utility' room - which comes under the definition of a non habitable room.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast