Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7TD Lowblow Vauxhall Pump Sesnor? HELP

Hi All,

Having a few probs with my astra G 1.7 Vauxhall lump.
    She'll srun for ages...10 miles....or idle for 30 mins and will rev no probs.
    She will just cut out and then not restart. Or leave her for a few hours and will restst staright away.

Initial thoughts were crap in the tank so its been dropped and cleanded and all lines blown thru and new filter sitting correctly with no air leaks...Still the same issue so we now know it was not fuel starvation.

So, Now been told its the speed sensor in the pump which may have gone and this is why it cust out and will not start.
    Did all the normal stuff with fuel about cracking the injectors and seeing if theres fuel.

When its having its probs no fuel but when its stopped being funny theres fuel...

So...does this sound like its the sensor and if so if there anything I can do apart from swap out the sensor.
    Happy to do it but if theres another way happy to try it.

Dont want to be swapping the sensor and drive 10 miles away to breakdown and to be towed for the 3rd time in a week lol

Any help greatly appricited

Cheers

Paul
    Swansea

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could be your EDU has dry solder joints, lots of info on this do a search. http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=184219

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A Spedo says , sounds like the edu on pump,we had a speed sensor go on the pump but it still ran, but was holding back at motorway speeds, luckily we had a spare pump, beacause vx manin dealers didnsell the sensors.
    you had to buy the full pump whick was like £1000

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bugger,

No one would do just the pump ecu but only the whole lot.
    So I went the full hog and having a new pump fitted tomorrow with a years warrenty.

Been off the road since a week last sat and had to hire a car as well so had to make a deciocion.
    I was let down so I couldnt be without the car any longer due to being a taxi driver for the kids lol
    The eldest works in the other end of twon and the youngest is in school again at the other end of town and buses in Swansea are not really an option if you need to be somewhere on time so I couldnt keep this up as it was affecting the kids.

So £800 or so lighter but so much stress its really not worth it trying to get it done by friends of friends.

Will have her back tomorrow afternoon and cant wait

Thanks to everyone for the help and support

Cheers

Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it never rains

Ok....update time

New pump and the error codes were pump and angle sensor / pump

ok...new pu,p fitted....started and the same problem but with a new eror code saying no power to the pump...so...a duff pump r an electrical issue somewhere...

Will know more tomorrow midday ..realy missing me van...ever tried public transport in swansea?
    Trying to work out how to get to work on two buses and get my youngest to school on time....great fun

Laters

Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Slowly losing the will to live

It ran when i took it into the garage...they added the new pump..it ran...missed a little and cut out.
    Now will not run.

They dont think its the new pump but theres no communication between the van ECU and the new pump.

Asked if taking the battery off to reset the van ECU and this was dismissed and they have had the van ecu out but nothing wrong.

Any thoughts?

Every suggestion I make is not really welcomed and sorry but I cant find the pin trick or know enough to mention powering the pump direct and by passing the pump edu but i will mention it.

Cheers

Paul

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think it may have been the EDU causing the problem, when it gets hot the solder joints can shift causing bad contacts which in turn cause intermittant starting and cutting out problems. If it is in fact it is not the EDU then you have been badly advised by the people carrying out the work on the pump. The EDU should have been the first component to suspect. Constant turning over without starting will throw up erronious fault codes. If I were you I would ask for the old pump to be returned and have it tested. Do you have an immobiliser fitted? It could also be faulty wireing from the pump to the ECU. What year is the car?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Mate

Its on a 99 T reg.
    Was running but now with a new pump and EDU its not running and they have no idea what the issue is now

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have they checked the crank sensor? When the crank sensor is playing up it can also cause starting problems, especially when the sensor gets hot, the winding may be breaking down. When they cool down again you get a start, however when it has actually failed you have no signal and this will cause a non start. If the sensor is playing up and you have a failing battery you won't acheive a fast enough cranking speed; sometimes if this is the case then bump starting works as this increases the crank speed and crank sensor signal output.

Disconnect the crank sensor and measure the ohms between the pins, the reading should be 800-1000 ohms or use a logic probe to test for a signal while cranking.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I mentioned this but they are not welcoming any suggestions.

I'll mention this tomorrow and see what they say.
    If they dont look at this then I will have to concider my next steps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast