Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The difference between VXR rear brakes and the Astra G rear brakes- pics

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The difference between VXR rear brakes and the Astra G rear brakes- pics

Managed to find a set of VXR brakes on E-Bay for a decent price. After selling my Brembos I was finding the braking a little less than I was used too even with Tarox discs. So I thought I'd upgrade all the brakes to the VXRs which I'm thinking may help.
    The brakes were advertised as just the discs, calipers and pads, the hoses had been cut ( I wish scrapyards wouldn't do that as it's just lazy and you need the front hoses off the VXR due to the banjo bolt being much bigger ) Anyway I managed to convince the seller to supply the rear steel brackets off the VXR as well as I was convinced they were bigger than the Astra Gs and how right I was.
    Here's a quick pic to show just how much more robust the VXR bracket is compared to the Astra G

Not only is it taller but it's substantially thicker and broader too.

I've now got 3 front calipers and 4 rear calipers so if anyone would like to buy a set of VXR rear calipers and a single front caliper they are for sale. No discs I'm afraid unless I decide to buy new ones instead of fitting the ones I picked up today.

Oh and just recieved a set of stainless braided hoses from Courteneys today, full set all 6 hoses to fit the VXR. Funny thing was the kit was missing the banjo bolts and it's advertised as including them, they are looking into it for me.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how much mate and what else is needed
    astra coupe bertone on 18" pro race 1.2s now on coilovers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The discs, calipers, pads and rear brackets cost me £210. I had to pay another £90 for a set of braided hoses for the VXR, I could have just got the fronts for about £40 but I wanted the full set including the ones above the rear beam so I decided to splash out a little.

A new set of VXR rear discs are £60 trade and fronts are £138 trade, not sure whether I'll buy new or stay with what I've got.

As for what else is needed, nothing else except fitting and bleeding etc.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what else would someone need to fit them if they bought the rear calipers off you? apart from disks.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f4af100uk View Post
    what else would someone need to fit them if they bought the rear calipers off you? apart from disks.
    Just the rear brackets in the pic above. The hoses are the same and I'd say the calipers wouldn't need spacing like they do when your trying to fit MK5 calipers to a MK4 as you'd be using a set of MK5 brackets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the big question how much? also if the rear discs are 60 how much an how easy are the brackets to find mate ?
    ill have first refusal on these, ta

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im running a rear set up from a zafira b so id guess that the brackets are the same

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    this was what i was trying to explain when i tryed fitting them to my sri t. the bracket is bigger on the mk5 as you can see in the pic which causes the problems trying to fit them to the mk4

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pricey SRI View Post
    the big question how much? also if the rear discs are 60 how much an how easy are the brackets to find mate ?
    ill have first refusal on these, ta
    Looking for £50 for the VXR rear calipers or £80 with the rear discs as well. The brackets can be found quite easily as it appears that most sellers don't remove them as they don't know they are needed, if you can get in quick when a VXR is breaking then you can buy them for a modest amount.

Quote Originally Posted by f4af100uk View Post
    Im running a rear set up from a zafira b so id guess that the brackets are the same
    The Zaffy brackets whilst looking identical are in fact the same height as the Astra G at 135mm, you need the taller brackets from a VXR to accomodate the 278mm rear discs. I'll measure the height of the VXR brackets so you can compare them. Unless of course the Zaffy B is running the 278mm rear discs like the VXR.

Quote Originally Posted by sri_kev View Post
    this was what i was trying to explain when i tryed fitting them to my sri t. the bracket is bigger on the mk5 as you can see in the pic which causes the problems trying to fit them to the mk4
    A pic makes it so much easier to explain doesn't it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    would these fit the 4stud too as i would like some bigger brakes to match the 308s
    Astra Coupe Turbo
    Custom Stage 3.5 330bhp 340ft lb VXR Pop Bang Map with Ignition Cut Limiter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast