Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter

Question Bilstein B4 dampers any experience

I'm looking to improve the comfort of my car. My current dampers are screwed and need replacing. I'm thinking of changing from 50/30 Eibachs to 40 or 30/20 Spax springs and Bilstein B4 dampers.

Are these Bilstein B4's better than OE dampers or is it worth saving for the B6's? Don't forget I want comfort!

Cheers
    jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'm not sure but I have just bought a set of B4's, LMF prices went up so I got them from www.tuning.co.uk very fast delivery and the cheapest I could find.

I'm hoping to fit them in the next month or so!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My only thought on the Bilstein's is that they are billed as replacements for the OEM dampers - which I assume means they're not ideal for lowered cars? Still, on 30/20 springs it isn't lowered much at all over the SXi/SRi/GSi springs so might not be too bad!

I know I'll be putting some Jamex dampers on mine sometime soonish to match the Jamex 40/40 springs - eBay seller does the dampers only for £158.99 delivered.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I was thinking the same but many people lower up to 40mm on standard dampers so should be ok...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    People who lower on OEM dampers are missing a trick...I did and I know I'm missing out on better handling because of it. Having been in a MK4 with uprated springs and dampers, the difference is actually very noticeable, the OEM dampers just can't hack it with uprated and lowered springs.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    THE B4s are oem but are uprated. had them on mine wiv 30mm Eibachs, great feel, work well wiv springs. noticeably less roll. problem tho, I had 2 sets of rears and they rattled like ckuf:-( just replaced my rear axle wiv new bushes, whiteline camber n toe in plates and monroe dampers for gsi. feels sweet as. others haven't had probs wiv b4s but i'd maybe suggest the b6s for a firm feel and b4s if u prefer comfort.
    get ones that are listed for the gsi and turbo, they be for 20mm lower than standard. careful wiv the fronts tho cos gsi has a heavier front end than 1.4-1.8 afaik.
    WHAT? AH! NO, I LOST IT