Thread: Pass Plus & IAM

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pass Plus & IAM

Without hijacking the other thread, i just wanted to ask a couple of Q's on these..

I'm with AF on my new car, I know they are a broker so each policy will be different... But in general, would the above tests be taken into account if i did them now, even though i've been driving for 3 years? I'm fairly certain the IAM will as its open to all drivers, however the pass plus seems more aimed at new drivers?

Would just be nice to have some extra tuition with the amount of tards on the road and bring the insurance down at the same time...

Cheers,
    Nick

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You've hit the nail on the head.

You should be taking the Pass Plus to improve your driving ability and awareness. The drop in premium should be seen as an added *possible* bonus - not the reason for doing it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did pass plus when I passed, IMO forget about it as a way if improving your driving, it's just some token motorway time and won't tell you anything you haven't learned in 3 years worth of driving. Go for IAM, it sounds more fun too (especially now in your ACT!)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Most insurers only take pass plus into consideration for your first 2 years driving mate so Swinton told me a couple of years ago, and like cheez says its a bullsh*t course, its supposed to be 6 hours or something, most driving schools will do it in half that and just give you the pass plus because its some extra money for them. You will have done everythin it is aimed at teachin you mate. IAM check with your insurer, will reduce with some, wont with others. How much is that out of interest?
    Driving Audi TT 225 Q

Status
    Supporting Trader
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,

Pass Plus would most likely not make much difference as you already have No Claims Bonus.
    However the IAM will likely make a difference. If you would like me to look into it further for you then please PM me your Client Ref.

Dan.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Dan,

PM'd, Does anyone know the cost of an IAM course? Or anyone done one?

nickfearn, if your wondering my insurance, atm its £163 a month but its worked out A LOT more thanks to getting the no claims off my old insurers and getting it to flux, ended up having to pay like a 2.4K policy for 2 months :@

Nick

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    IAM course = £79 if 25 or younger, £99 if over 25.

Looks worth doing when the cash is free!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    IAM course cost me £55 when i signed up around 18 months ago. at the time i was 18. they do a special discount for younger members on the whole anyway. I think the usual price is around £65-£75 for under 25's, although mine was a promo at the time.

check out the website www.iam.org.uk . it gives all of the details on there and you can also pay for the "skill for life" package which basically is everything you will need to complete the course.

make sure you find an insurance company which will accept your IAM pass. I am with the broker A Plan at the moment. They arranged my insurance through Zenith for me, who unfortunately don't recognise the IAM pass.

as i had not passed when i renewed last year, i wasn't able to obtain a discount. although this year when i renew in june, i will make sure i go with someone who recognises it. apparently the IAM have got a deal with Adelaide insurance. my dad is now with them and got a nice little discount with the pass on his insurance.

if you join the IAM, it is well worth going to your local group meetings if possible. the ones in my "region" are held once a month, and can be a good place to meet with people in the same situation and obviously obtain useful information from those who have already passed the test. usually at the meetings, a speaker is invited. in the passed we have had people from traffic cops to accident investigators to chief examiners giving a view of what will be expected during the test - an invaluable meeting for someone who is coming up for test!

anyway, good luck, keep us informed!
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    IAM - affiliate with your local branch. All 'observation' is done for free by local members, you only pay for your test and your first years's membership.

Did mine a long time back, but if you let your membership lapse then I don't think the Advanced Driving Test pass can continue to be valid? If it can then I am certainly interested if any discount can be made with AF as I passed my IAM test about 6 years ago.

That aside, the IAM 'lessons' and test is very very worthwhile. I got loads out of it and most have stuck with me to this day.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    That aside, the IAM 'lessons' and test is very very worthwhile. I got loads out of it and most have stuck with me to this day.
    i think one of the most useful things i picked up from the course/drives was the limit point technique. had a drive with the group chief observer for my area, he taught me this before i booked the course. i then found myself teaching my observer the limit point technique. my observer happened to be my dad who wasn't shown it on his drives! fortunately i was his first "pupil" and he then went on to use it for all his other "pupils"

for those of you who aren't aware of the limit point technique, it is all about driving to the road on country roads. its all about asking yourself, can you stop within the distance seen to be clear - in other words, can you stop within the distance of tarmac you can see? if the answer is yes, speed is ok, if the answer is no, then you are going to quick.

as the limit point moves away from you, you speed up, as the limit point moves nearer, you slow down. simple really, but quite difficult to explain. for those of you who want to read more, google the words, limit point technique. some of the results are nothing to do with driving, but there as some good articles in some of the first results.

this is a technique used to teach police when on their training course.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast