Thread: Is it really worth it?

Danny_

Is it really worth it?

I need to sort my brakes out, I havnt bothered to check what the pads/discs are like its dark and cold outside but they have got to be due for a change as my braking distance on the way back from work was shocking.

I looked on ebay, then searched on here and all the options seem mind boggling and the prices even more so. I have a 2000 reg 1.8 sxi 16v ... with 4 stud wheels. What should I get? Is it worth spending more and upgrading or should I just get standard ... not that I know what the standard ones are!?

I would just take it to a garage to get done, but I can get them done at work for nothing so would rather buy the parts.

Thanks.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Standard will probably be 256mm as your on 4 stud.

There are a few options for upgrading, like 4 stud 308mm kit, or convert to 5 stud and get a 286 or 308mm set-up. Either way size is important, and I would rather have standard 308mm brakes, then uprated 256mm discs and pads

Danny_
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Standard will probably be 256mm as your on 4 stud.

There are a few options for upgrading, like 4 stud 308mm kit, or convert to 5 stud and get a 286 or 308mm set-up. Either way size is important, and I would rather have standard 308mm brakes, then uprated 256mm discs and pads
    I just googled the 4 stud 308mm and from LMF, its over 500 quid. No way is that worth it, the car simply doesnt go fast enough lol. I only use the car to go work and back. But they do a standard breaks and pads for 80 quid, sounds good to me!

I noticed on ebay, they charge more for 1.8 discs and pads than 1.6, but according to LMF they are the same for all models? Is this right?

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You need to find out for sure, but think on 4stud's both the 1.6 and 1.8 use 256mm disc's. But 5 stud 1.8's use 286mm, so they would be more expensive.

The 4stud upgrade is expensive, could do a 5 stud upgrade for less with the 308mm kit. Also its easy to find nicer wheels then as well lol

Danny_
    Alright mate thanks for your help.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If your after cheap then just go to your local motor factors rather than lock to upgrade. Renew your standard stuff and your laughing.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    might be worth having your fluid bled throught with new stuff. and i would just stick to standard brakes if you only use the car for work. check what condition the pads and discs are in before you go looking for new parts though.
    if they are that bad then you may have a problem in the system

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ignore the pricing on the LMF brake upgrades...you can do the 280mm upgrade for around £150 with some 2nd hand parts alongside new discs and pads.