Thread: confusion about spraying body work

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

confusion about spraying body work

I have been thinking about this today. When spray painting an item of body work, for example the bumper, would i apply primer first...let that dry for 24 hrs drying time, then the paint colour followed by anouther 24hrs drying time..followed by the laquar then giving that 24hrs... Or do i just apply each coat from primer right threw to laqure at 15 minute intervales

thanks guys
    Had a Astra SRI 2.0i 1999, now have a 1994 VW Golf GL 1.8, £460 bargin!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    24 hrs could be an overestimate for the drying time but it will take longer than 15 mins to dry but it depends purely on the paint you are using sprayingg front cans will dry much faster than spraying a ceelulose paint from a un but i take it you are using cans. i sprayed my rubbing strips and left them for about an hour and a half between coats and then 24 hours after the final coat. hope this helps you out

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i did my grill you see, and what i did was spray several layers of primer every 15 minutes. left it to dry for 24, then next colour/laquar. took me about 4 or 5 days. Just thinking that maybe all i needed to do was spray all coats together and not give 24hrs between each seperate colour/coating. however once the last layer is on, then give it 24hrs, im useing halfords spray cans by the way

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    15 mins between layers when staying with the same product. But a bit longer when changing products.

Primer drys quick, so could get away with an hour or so between primer and paint in this weather. But I would leave it longer than that when going from paint to lacquer.
    I managed to spray some dash pieces in a day and a half. The lacquer needs 2-3 days to dry though really I have found, before it starts to properly harden.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also you should be sanding between coats so generally the paint needs to be hard in order to do this. Get the prep right and the rest follows
    WWW. FUTURESHOCKAUDIO .CO.UK
    Back in the Vauxhall fold - Astra Turbo & '82 Merc sadly missed, Two VX220's should keep me happy though

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my grill turned out great, but i spent ages doing it. Trouble with sanding, even with very fine wet and dry, it just takes the paint away lol, or is that the point?

Looks like my front bumper will be takeing over the conservatry for a while....mum is not going to be happy,