Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry Engine stalling after start-up

Hi guys,

I have a major problem with my brother's Astra. It's a 2002 1.6 16v and has suddenly refused to start up for longer than 5 seconds before cutting out. Even holding the accelerator half-down doesn't help and it still stutters to a halt. Sometimes the short idle time is ok, sometimes it's lumpy, and it takes a few seconds cranking over to fire up.

I've read loads on the net about what it could be but nothing seems to have worked. There's no engine light on and no fault codes are stored. I have an ELM327 OBDII reader that shows everything being normal, including: throttle position sensor, coolant temp, air intake temp, O2 sensor voltages, etc.

I've already:

-cleaned the throttle body
    -as far as I'm aware this car doesn't have an ICV or MAF sensor (can't seem to find a MAP sensor)
    -cleaned the air intake temp sensor with electrical cleaner
    -cleaned the crankshaft position sensor as it was a bit slimed up
    -removed and cleaned the metal breather pipe from the crankcase as it was blocked
    -cleaned the rubber breather hoses on the top of the engine
    -checked for vacuum leaks
    -changed the fuel pump relay
    -changed the fuel filter
    -blanked off the EGR
    -checked air intake ducting and filter for blockages
    -spark plugs were just changed recently
    -reset the ECU by leaving the battery disconnected overnight, which worked for a short while then died again after a restart later on.

The only other things I can think of would be dirty petrol or a collapsed cat, but probably not.

I'm fairly handy with a spanner so I try to keep costs down and do any work myself but as you can see I'm really at the end of my tether!!! And sorry for the long post!

Cheers,

Sparkz

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    will it run on easy start?

it might be that the fuel pressure is to low, you can check the pressure in the feul system from the live readings on a diagnostic code reader,

Does Tech 2 take live readings?

Dave

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've managed to get it started by holding the accelerator down and keeping it at over 2000rpm and it sounds ok, but as soon as you lift off it stalls. My fault code reader is showing that the short term fuel trim is at +39% and the long term fuel trim at +8% (at 2000rpm). I've read that this means it's running lean? The article said this would be due to a fuel delivery problem rather than a vacuum leak as the reading should be lower than this. I think the only other thing I could do now is fish out the fuel pump to check it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
    I've managed to get it started by holding the accelerator down and keeping it at over 2000rpm and it sounds ok, but as soon as you lift off it stalls. My fault code reader is showing that the short term fuel trim is at +39% and the long term fuel trim at +8% (at 2000rpm). I've read that this means it's running lean? The article said this would be due to a fuel delivery problem rather than a vacuum leak as the reading should be lower than this. I think the only other thing I could do now is fish out the fuel pump to check it.
    Yep,

check that and let us know how you get on.

Dave

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What about Idle Control Valve ? Only trouble is if it is the Delphi throttle body like on mine the ICV is built in so you would need to try another TB . Map sensor is pushed into top of the inlet manifold and held in with a bracket .

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry for the late reply guys, but it's been sorted (eventually). It was cured by fitting a new EGR valve. The auto electrician I spoke to said these engines need one to function properly. An expensive fix but it's working!

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    EGR valves... nightmare

My car broke down big time with a failed EGR valve, clean didnt even cure it!

It sounded like it was firing on 3 cylinders it was that bad

Glad to hear its sorted though
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here