Thread: MK4 1999 1.6 8V EMS issues

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MK4 1999 1.6 8V EMS issues

I have a 1999 1.6 8v single point injection astra, the engine emissions warning light has come on and also the engine cooling system warning light. When the dash warning lights come on the rad fan and A/C fan come on and it loses a lot of power and becomes erratic when idling. 90% of the time the lights are on, the engine does not get up to temperature and the guage never seems to move from very cold however the heaters blow warm so i am assuming its a problem with the sensor not reading correctly.
    I have autodata and have the tests to carry out listed. However i cannot find the fuse box to firstly check the fuses to make sure they are all good.

Can someone tell me where the fusebox is please and does anyone have any suggestions as what to go about doing first? I am going to replace the CLT sensor and clean the idle control valve and throttle body. Any other suggestions are welcome. The car has its MOT in a month so i need to sort this out before then or they will fail it.

Many Thanks

Steve

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The fuse box is under the dash on the drivers side, behind the cubby hole by your right knee. There's also another fuse box under the bonnet near the battery with larger fuses in that control the fans
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone got a link to any information on blanking off the EGR on these engines?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    all the fuses have been checked and are good. The ehpas is whining like a bitch and the bettery light is now intermittantly flashing at random.
    Does anyone have any tips?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok i have the fault code P1540 - Air conditioning pressure sensor sensor circuit fault. The possibilities are the wiring, the pressure sensor or the ECU.
    I have also called vauxhall for a price on updating the ECU software so i can blank off the EGR valve and they want £77 for 1 hours labour and the use of their Tech2. I have also confirmed with them that this is the price for JUST updating the software or diagnosing the fault and they have said its just the software. Does anyone know anywhere in the coventry area i can get this done cheaper or if this can be done without the use of the Tech2.

Thanks

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, alternator went pop night before last, so i have now fitted a new alternator and blanked off the EGR, fitted new plugs, air filter and belts. The car runs much much better but the management light and coolant light still come on occasionally and the fans still run intermittantly, the car doesn't get warm according to the temp guage and i still have the fault code for the air con, but it drives better now. So at the weekend ill be getting the aircon regassed and serviced and get it on my AA mates diagnostics to see what he can come up with.