Thread: Spoiler Sagging

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Spoiler Sagging

Hi guys, got a problem with my rear spoiler, was looking for some advice.

Basically I bought the spoiler 2nd hand, although it is a genuine Irmscher one with the "Irmscher Heckspoiler KBA 38200 2001 401 stamped on the drivers side overhang bit, but was very cheap at £60 posted.

Anyway I've no reason not to believe its a fake as it looks identical to all the other genuine Irmscher ones I've seen. I recently had a bodyshop respray and fit the spoiler for me.

However it seems to have sagged, there is still a gap between the nut cover for the nut which the rear wiper arm is bolted to the bootlid with and the underside of the spoiler, maybe 10mm, but I still reckon if I ever needed to remove/replace the wiper arm I'd need to remove the spoiler first, I dont know if this is the case with every astra with an irmscher fitted, but since it was a factory fit on some models Im guessing not.

Also, saw a 51plate 1.8 SXI with factory fitted rear spoiler and front bumper splitter earlier and there looked more of a gap between his wiper nut cover and the underside of the spoiler and mine, which worried me.

Lastly, noticed that when I close my bootlid the middle of the spoiler kinda 'vibrates/shakes' hard to explain but basically it doesnt stay still, is this normal or do I have a problem?
    www.cruise-ayrshire.com

Scotland's West Coast Cruise Scene.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To be honest, with my irmscher one its pretty solid, however did have a fibreglass replica which did just what your saying

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yer i had a fiberglass one fitted previously when i bought the car,(previous owner probably broke the origanl one or something) it had saged onto the rear wiper arm and so when ever i used the rear wiper the centre would bob up and down. looked utterly stupid. Bought one which was an offical irm and hasent sagged, all i can think is too much pressure has constantly been put on the centre of it, no doubt when closing the boot
    Had a Astra SRI 2.0i 1999, now have a 1994 VW Golf GL 1.8, £460 bargin!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if this is true but i was told your meant to bolt it in at an angle to keep it rigid, not exactly sure how to do this or if its true, just heard it somewhere!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    gou got a pic mate, someone might be able to tell you if its fitted wrong or i the spoilers dodgy
    Flame Red 2002-02 Mk4 1.6 SXi RIP
    Flame Red 1997-R Corsa 1.4 8v
    Back in an Astra Silver 2000-X Mk4 CD 1.6 16v

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine has irmscher spoiler and is same, i took the wiper off lol

i wouldnt worry about it tbh mate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Have you checked that the bolts are tight?
    Whoever fitted it may have drilled the hole a bit on the wide side if you get me.
    You could try filing the inner edges of the holes a bit & tightening in the spoiler.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Heres the only pics I have of my car with the spoiler fitted: 1 thing I have since noticed though is that on the proper irmscher fitting instructions it says to fit it 10mm in from the edge of the bootlid, whereas the bodyshop have fitted mine right at the edge, and the 2 parts the bolts bolt into are both right at the edge of either side of the bootlid

www.cruise-ayrshire.com

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Sounds like the bodyshop have drilled the holes too close to the edge then.
    Did they have the fitting instructions when they fitted it? If so, I'd be back there complaining & getting them to sort it out properly.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Man View Post
    Sounds like the bodyshop have drilled the holes too close to the edge then.
    Did they have the fitting instructions when they fitted it? If so, I'd be back there complaining & getting them to sort it out properly.
    would drilling the holes too close to the edge account for both the spoiler sitting too low in the middle, and the vibration of the whole spoiler inbetween the 2 "legs" which are bolted to the bootlid, when the bootlid is just about closed as it latches?

I printed off the proper irmscher fitting guide off of the how to-s bit on this site and left them in my boot along with the spoiler when it went in.
    www.cruise-ayrshire.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast