Thread: Help astra is gonna get driven into a wall at this rate

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help astra is gonna get driven into a wall at this rate

Right i have an astra 1.6 8v bad choice i know it is on an 04 plate engine z16se. First prob it was cutting out so i blanket the egr valve as thought it was that did not solve the problem is still blanket of have not taken plate of yet. Anyway was driving the other day and exhaust emissions light came on and stayed on and is still on so decided to do pedal test. Have come up with 0300 0303 which are both misfire codes no egr codes whoops anyway please help what is my next step before i go jumping in like superman and doing something i dont need to do.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi m8 sorry to hear you have problems but dont diss the 1.6 8v as a poor choice...Its a great and long living engine and economical and cruises at the legal 70mph!!!
    If you want to blank off your EGR valve then you need an ECU update to remove the EGR from the software,otherwise the ECU will be trying to receive and send it instructions..or you could replace it.
    If you have misfires then check your plugs and leads,coil pack could also be an issue..

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks mate am in the middle of checking plugs ect now. Plugs are a good colour and as i had no egr code come up am cleaning it and keeping it as it should be. Did think that it might possibly be coil pack so have been trying to make sure it is. Have also got battery disconected to try wipe codes and see how it goes after all the cleaning. Was gonna take the lambda sensor off but not easy room wise so have left it. And was only dissin the engine performance wise lol bit slow at green lights.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    while your working on it check and clean the throttle body and breather pipes with carb cleaner...
    although you dont have codes up for EGR,it doesn,t mean its not going duff..they can start sticking,and operating slow

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks mate not long cleaned it all and was pretty clean before i started lol. I have just connected the battery back up put in radio code and started it up i have run ten minutes and no lights yet fingers crossed.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Keep us informed,alan

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan geh View Post
    Keep us informed,alan
    Still no light come on alan. Still does random cutting out though noticed its worse when been driving for a long time.? No ecu light so no codes at the moment.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Problem with the EGR valve is that it can start failing but not throw up a code for the EGR...It can get slow to operate or stick open or closed temporarily...so if you suspect it then you have to bite the bullet and replace it,alan

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dont know if this engine has a Idle control valve but it sounds like a classic (would be if it was the x20xev eco)
    MK4 Astra Sri..... <clicky>