Thread: Poor oil?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Poor oil?

Other than perhaps buying something like Wilko's own brand, is there anything that many members on here have found to be 'poor oil'?

Thought i best check as it's about 1/2-way on the dipstick & i'm going to Scotland at the weekend so that's 170 mile & back straight away.

Remember Geordie mentioning Vaux oil & its cost, but at the mo, i've not the money spare to be doing that. I know in the long run it's not cost effective, but still.

I'm guessing it's 1litre from min to max, so a 1ltr bottle should see me right.

That magnatec stuff overpriced sh!te or actually quite decent?
    Halfords own brand seen as poor stuff?

Will be leaving on Fri, so i've until then to pick up some stuff.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    walk away from Magnatec - its pure shite - i get it at trade price but its crap for hotter engines - might be ok on yours but im guessing u cant get it trade

if u just want a 1litre top up bottle to stick in the car as a "just in case" then just get a simple bottle of any 10w40 from a local car shop. Even a simple cheap n cheerful brand like Carlube and the likes will do as a top up.

A single 1ltr bottle from Vxl (10w40) is only £3+VAT on trade club so this would be ideal if ur concerned (as u clearly are - hence this thread) about inferior oils

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I ask because i'm quite ignorant/clueless when it comes to oil. I believe from what i've read that you do actually get what you pay for.

From what you say, it seems 1ltr makes little difference but a full renewal is where the difference is.

I'm assuming Vaux will typically have in stock the oil. I think it was the Vec C pipe they didn't when i went before, but surely they'd have 1ltr oil in stock.

I think i have the trade club code written down somewhere so if they accept it, then i should be good to go with that sort of price

If i was to go doing a full oil change, what oil would YOU recommend? I know you mentioned the price of Vaux oil in a reply to me a while ago, but as for specific oil, which would you do on the Z18XE? I would assume Vaux oil to be the best for the job...surely?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For the price u pay on trade club u cant go wrong with Vauxhall oil

I use 10w40 semi synth and u get 4 x 5ltr bottles for the price of 3

costs about £8 a bottle

10w40 is ideal across the range and the oil meets all the standards required of it

yeah just dig out ur trade club membership number or see the members only section for details

Part number for 5ltr of 10w40 oil is 93165216 - just tell em u want 4 for 3

1 ltr bottles are 93165213

The theory u get what u pay for applies up unto a certain point - Certain brands Ive used in the past Id never ever use again and are not strictly cheap... Mobil 1, Castrol Edge and Magnetec being the big 3 - evil!!!!!

Stick with GM own 10w40 and u cant go wrong - especially at that price!!!

If u have the 1.8 with the spin on filter then £1.50 will get u a filter on TC.

Good times

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I presume you mean this with the filter -

That's like the one i have on mine. Didn't know you could get other sorts

Cheers for the linkup with the codes, that'll be handy. I think i'll call them rather than going down, because it's a bit of a journey if they kick up a bit of a stink over the trade club number - as i don't have any card etc. Just the number i wrote on a bit of paper really, so for all they know, i could be 1 of any 100s people a member may have given it to.

Just out of curiosity, what experiences have you had with those oils that you don't rate?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I killed my top end with them!

Is that frank enough lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the Mobil 1 5-30 fully synthetic in at an oil change, 5000 miles later it was like dirty water. Not the best ive used. VX and ford (sorry) own are better oils IMO. If anyone can get some trade club a group buy would be a good idea. You just cant have enough oil changes. I would do mine every 5000 if I didnt have to pay £40 for the oil.