Thread: KYB Shocks (KAYABA)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

KYB Shocks (KAYABA)

Hi, iv recently come accross these shocks....reasonable price....has anyone had any experience with these at all...they look to be comfy shocks that can be lowered 40mm.......or am i reading things wrong....

J

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone???? never get any replies in this sub forum

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    depends which ones you get. i had some excel-g ones a while back... but I only got them to get me through an mot and and in no way was it by informed choice.

As a straight swap for (knackered) OE's , they were fine

which ones you looking at getting?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the reply pal.....
    those are the ones im looking to buy, excel G......i wana lower 50/30 but i really want as much comfort as possible so iv looked into these.......aparently they are a little stiffer than OE which is even better and can handle a drop a little better as they are twin tubed.....i make it sound like i know what im talking about..lol...but basically i raang the guy there and said would these be ok with 50/30's he said yea, but when i e mailed them i got a reply saying really no more than 30-35mm drop...so now im in two minds but they do have a 2 year warranty.....

how lond did yours last on what drop?? did u notice a difference to OE ones? What are your views on them?

Cheers Jay

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Humm interesting

When i got mine I just rushed into the local factors and asked for replacement OE shocks for a 2.2 SRi, and I was told that Excel-G, were just that as the sri has 'sports' suspension.

Persionally I wouldn't stick 50mm springs on any shock that not specifically designed to run at the height

I wouldn't call them an upgrade on OE sports suspension, but they would certainly upgrade lower trim levels - ie stiffer.

Did I notice a difference - sure did.... as my OE ones had leaked all the magic fluids out.. so in that respect anything would be better

At the time I was running a -35mm vogtland springs, and they were fine at that, but I only had therm on the car for about 6 months (4K miles) before I got my custom shocks sorted.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    take it uv sold these then??? ok....out of interest have you got any pics of the car when it was on these shocks and 35mm springs?? also any advise on springs with a 35mm-40mm drop??? thinking about it i spose 40mm all round would be ok...not too high at the front ect....

thanks very much for your help mate

J

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

/\/\/\ that's on the same springs but different shocks, but as springs govern the ride height the shocks are irrelelvant (until it's moving ).

BUT I'm running 215/45/17's not ther normal 215/40's... it just makes it sit perfectly and fill the arches out better IMO.

Can't jelp on the springs tho - I was lucky enough to pick up some Vogtlands which are are rare as they are good.

not sure if I've stil got the old shocks - they might be in the loft, but I only had the rear pair anyway

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have KYB shocks all round in my MK4 hatch.

It's lowered 40mm front and rear and rolls on 18s with 215/35 tyres.

It's bumpy as all buggery - I wouldnt recommend these shocks unless you are running standard springs.