Thread: What size are the door speakers in mk4 van?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool What size are the door speakers in mk4 van?

Hi, please could someone tell what size the speakers are in the doors, also what is the best type of speaker to go for as there wont be any 6x9's. I want a 12" sub and amp and the door speakers, think i'll also get some tweeters from a sxi as i heard the wires are already there.

Thanks

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi,
    if memory serves correct the speakers are 17cm(6.5") in the front door,IMO you would be best going for a set of component speakers (these have a mid,tweeter and crossover already and you get the wiring)

to mount the mids (17cm speaker) you will need either a plastic adaptor from halfrauds or you can make you own from mdf (this will stop the speaker from fouling the window when you put it down.)

as for which components to go for all i can say is get the best you can afford,most manufacturers have a budget,mid and top end set.however these vary alot i.e.a budget vibe or fusion set would be £50 ish wheras focal(my favorite) or rainbow "budget(!!!)" ranges start at £120 ish.

usually as with most things you get what you pay for but i've heard an £90 set of alpine type r components out perform a £220 set of rainbows just because of the quality of installation (better wiring,solid mounting in mdf and sound deadening applied in the door.)

as far as the sub goes the same really applies,you pay for what you get,but again a mid range sub from a quality brand in a box designed for it,will out perform a top price sub in a generic "one size fits all" box usually given away free with it.

also to bear in mind when designing your system is how much you going to spend on cables,sound deadening etc. whats the point of having £300 speakers and a £500 amp if your using a £25 amp wiring kit from halfrauds?

all that said,my system has a set of focal k2's in the front doors(sound deadened with 2 layers of edead) a precision power 1000.4 amp(google it,its mahoosive lol) and a shadow works titan sub (soon to be in a custom box,but just sort of floating round the boot in its generic one at the moment)

i listen to mainly drum and bass,trance and house music and this system works well,the bass is a little boomy but once i make the new box this should be sorted.

hertz audio are doing quite a good deal at the moment,i think you get comps
    and a sub and amp for around the £350 mark,how much did you want to spend?
    you can live in your car but you cant race a house.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Spot on bud that helps me a lot, i got a quote from a shop local to me for a sub, amp, speakers and a decent headunit all fitted for about 500ish but i saw the headunit which they had up for £110 on the internet for £70 so i'll probably buy it all separate and fitt it myself. How come the speakers need a adapter? could i not put smaller ones in?

Cheers zek

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you are after some good components quite cheap got to your local halfords and you can get a set of Infinity Reference 6510CS now for about £30
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the standard speaker has a spacer built into it,and so sits 2"-3" proud of the door.aftermarket speakers are flush mount design so you need the adapter to space it out.

a good site for audio online is www.caraudiodirect.com/
    you can live in your car but you cant race a house.