Thread: Excessive Tyre Wear on Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow Excessive Tyre Wear on Coupe Turbo

I am having tyre wear problems with my Coupe Turbo. Im getting uneven tyre wear on ALL 4 tyres!! Its been lowered 30mm all round so i was expecting my tyres to wear slightly more on the inside. But i just had it MOT'd a week ago, and the front tyres i had put on 5 months ago tread read like this, 5mm outside edge and centre and 2mm inside edge !!!! Which is a bit more than slightly wearing more on the inside!! The rears aren't as bad, BUT then to top it off nearside rear got a puncture on monday so i have just forked out £200 on 3 new tyres(replaced the 2 fronts aswell). Obviousy i wanted to get it sorted before i go through another load of tyres, so i rang Courtenay Motorsport for advice, they said that by me lowering it 30mm it shouldn't cause such severe tyre wear and wouldn't necessarily change the suspension's geometry
    Which seems strange, if you draw a square(representing a wheel) then a line coming from centre going to the side(representing suspension beam) then from the end of that line draw another line at a slight angle going up back towards the square(wheel) then draw a new square at end of 2nd line at 90degree angle to the 2nd line. Then you will see the edge on the 2nd square thats closest to line(suspension beam) is now closer to the imaginary ground than the other edge.
    Surely thats exactly what happens when a car is lowered??? After all geometry is in part the relationship of points, lines and angles, how could having my car lowered not altered the suspensions geometry??!?!?! It would certainly explain the tyre wear issues im having. Also before anyone sais that lowering a car doesn't change the camber, please try the drawing excercise or have a look at these websites(of many) that would dissagree with you.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DX

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...N%26start%3D20

But anyway, Courtenay recommended taking it to a laser alignment outfit to find out the problem. Then i MAY have to buy the camber adjusment bolts etc, get them fitted and THEN take back to Laser place so they can adjust everything accordingly!!! Obviously doing all that isn't cheap!!

So, now to the point of this thread. In my situation what would you do? Has anyone had the same problem? Should i just get the bolts, get them fitted and adjusted when i get it Laser aligned as its obviously a camber issue??(which is what i think)

I love my car but its starting to test my patience!! OH and cambelts due YEPEEEEEE!!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Laser is the best way.

Oh try posting with normal font that did not wok And was hard to read

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeh apologies, edited that out now.

Laser first? before anything else? Do you think it could just be tracking or something then? and not the camber.

Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Doing a Laser check checks the camber and tracking

I had mine done but then again I got coilovers so it was way out

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahh ok. Makes sense!! I suppose i best get that booked then. Thanks for your help.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, just get it laser alligned, usually around £20 i think, well, it is round here. You'll soon find out then. 30mm shouldn't knock your geometry out much though, usually its the bigger drops like the 50 and 60mm ones were it becomes really apparent.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Where abouts are you?

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    20 quid for laser. thats way cheap you get tracking round here for that price not 4 wheel laser alignment.

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Northampton, ive already rang a few places about getting it Laser aligned. But seems not many places can get a lowered car(even one only lowered 30mm) on their ramps. Did find one eventually though in Wellingborough but thought if you guys thought it was obviously a camber issue i'd just have gone straight out and bought the adjustment bolts instead of getting it looked at first.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i was quoted £60 for 4 wheel alingment at a Vauxhall Dealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast