Thread: mk3 astra cambelt

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

mk3 astra cambelt

i've got a mk3 astra 1.6 8 valve that has 126k on the clock, the cambelt was changed at 97k in 1996. at what mileage does the cambelt need changing again, the car has full service history and i was wondering what sort of mileage i can expect to get from these engines. are they any good.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    firstly, i don't know what thread to post in, coz you've posted 2 within a few mins, same topic, same text etc! hopefully someone may remove one for you!

anyway, if last time the cam was changed was back in 1996, then yes, i would say that it would be worthwile getting it done, based on how long ago it was.

mileage wise, was approx 30k miles since the change if i am correct. in terms of mileage, then yes, it would be fine to leave it, but the fact its been 13 years, better to have it changed than to have it go, would be bye bye lovely astra!

my dad has a 6 year old renault scenic which has done just over 30k. the garage advised to have it done, although renault recommend 5 years or 72k, based on the fact it has "lived its life span". would be cheaper to replace the cam belt, then it would to replace his car!!!
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

fdrightup
    Quote Originally Posted by steplce View Post
    i've got a mk3 astra 1.6 8 valve that has 126k on the clock, the cambelt was changed at 97k in 1996. at what mileage does the cambelt need changing again, the car has full service history and i was wondering what sort of mileage i can expect to get from these engines. are they any good.
    cam belt change every 36,000 miles or every 4 years which ever comes first