North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook

Car did not start

Mk5 57 1.9cdt1 Sri

Been out and about in my car all day so was not cold, popped home for something, jumped back in my car turned the key and nothing not even a sound from the starter motor. Radio was on so turned this off and tried again...nothing. Took the keys out and tried again....nothing, then noticed the little spanner light flashing each time...keys in and out 3 or 4 times, started to worry quite a lot, then all of a sudden it started as if nothing was wrong.
    did a little pedal test for codes, but nothing

any ideas.....cheers

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try using a spare key, the immobiliser may be having trouble recognising that key. I am pritty sure fault code info is not stored in the ECU. i.e key not recognised.

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    Cheers mate will try....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have had this quite regularly, sometimes 2-3 times a week then it doesn't happen for a few months. I understand that it has something to do with the CIM not picking up the chip in the key. I have tried taking the key out, rotating it through 180' and reinserting - works every time. As your car is still under warranty - go back to the dealer this is a common well known problem with the Mk5. I have had the CIM changed before and this rectified the problem but it has now returned but my warranty has expired.
    Did you get your tyres changed, I noticed a thread a while back relating to this. I recently renewed mine from the original Dunlop SP01s after 42,000 miles and put Bridgestone Potenzas 050a on, very similar performance wet and dry but slightly quieter. Hope you get it sorted good luck with the dealer

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Black twinport View Post
    I have had this quite regularly, sometimes 2-3 times a week then it doesn't happen for a few months. I understand that it has something to do with the CIM not picking up the chip in the key. I have tried taking the key out, rotating it through 180' and reinserting - works every time. As your car is still under warranty - go back to the dealer this is a common well known problem with the Mk5. I have had the CIM changed before and this rectified the problem but it has now returned but my warranty has expired.
    Did you get your tyres changed, I noticed a thread a while back relating to this. I recently renewed mine from the original Dunlop SP01s after 42,000 miles and put Bridgestone Potenzas 050a on, very similar performance wet and dry but slightly quieter, I got all 4 for 390 fitted 225/40/18's. Hope you get it sorted good luck with the dealer
    Cheers for the reply mate, will look into the CIM thing as tryed my spare key and every thing is fine so if this was a random intermittent problem then that wouldnt make a difference...
    Did you get your tyres through the dealer, im swaying more to Uniroyal rainsport 2,s which hopefully i can find for around the £100 and get my mate to fit them for free.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chewysrixp View Post
    Cheers for the reply mate, will look into the CIM thing as tryed my spare key and every thing is fine so if this was a random intermittent problem then that wouldnt make a difference...
    Did you get your tyres through the dealer, im swaying more to Uniroyal rainsport 2,s which hopefully i can find for around the £100 and get my mate to fit them for free.
    Got them fitted at Kwik Fit, had an offer of 4 for the price of 3.

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    How much did that work out as mate, cheapest i can find them on the web is £102 and got a mate that will fit all for £10, so that would be £418.