Thread: turbo actuator

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

turbo actuator

this may sound stupid but on the 2.0 Di is the actuator vacume controlled?
    the replacement turbo i have is in good condition with minimal play and no oil residue but the actuator spring seems to work backwards to those on every turbo car i've ever worked on, to close the waste gate on the back of the turbo you have to push the arm in and put your finger over the inlet to 'create a vacume' or the spring on the actuator arm will just open the waste gate again???
    Help plz?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not a stupid question, many turbo's use a mehanical actuator to vent off overboost when a certain PSI is reached, which is similar to what you have been working with in the past. The vehicle you are now working on uses the ECU to control the wastegate actuator after receiving a voltage signal from the boost pressure sensor. The overboost system is initiated with the help of a dedicated solenoid which is run off the vacuum pump.

From memory the actuator is open by default and will only be held shut when vacuum is generated by the pump, via the shut off solenoid. When overboost is sensed by the boost pressure sensor vacuum is removed by the ECU, thus shutting off the solenoid valve; as boost returns to normal operating pressure the solenoid will open again in order to allow vacuum to flow, thus closing the wastegate.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks Spedo, i'm used to high powered Jap turbo's so seeing 4 or 5 vacume pupes around the engine is a bit foreign to me lol

Give me a Boost controller and gauges and i can wire um up in the blink of an eye though lol
    i take it there will be a spare take off pipe on the inlet if i deside to monitor the turbo?